Lotion Candles?

I have a question. I am a newbie at making candles period but my mom went to the flea market in Memphis this past weekend and there was a lady there selling candles as the wax melts you can use it for lotion. Does anyone know anything about this and how it works? Just curious because it sounds like a neat concept. Thanks for any help you have!

hello. About the candles meted using for lotion. I know a lot of people who make soy candles and some people use the all natural soy wax in their lotion making. I would not melt the candles and use them for lotion because most of the scents that are used for the candles are a manufacturers grade and the scents that are used for the lotions have to be a cosmetic grade according to the FDA. You might run into liability problems if you use the wrong grade of scent for lotions or anything applied to the skin. Hope this helps.:)

You might run into liability problems if you use the wrong grade of scent for lotions or anything applied to the skin.
Additionally, candles are scented with about 5 times as much fragrance compared to lotions. So, the result could be irritating to skin.

I sell a lot of these and never had a problem. They are scented with body safe FO's and only have the amount that you would put in massage oil. For someone to say they are not safe is just someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. It is no different then putting hot oil on for a massage.

True, they can be done safely. Body safe FOs at a reasonable percentage. Are they labeled properly? That's where lots of people miss, they don't really know what's in their wax, many don't use 100% soy, they use a blend, so their labels don't follow the FDA rules.

Out of all the ones I've seen, I've seen one person do everything correctly.

It's a type of product that has a higher risk of liability. Some people don't want to accept the risk, some won't even sell oil and say to use it hot for a massage, even if it's a legitimate product.

But these concerns are good to bring up. Many people who ask this type of question are coming from the candle side of things. They don't know FDA laws, they might not even know %s that are safe for body fragrances.. So it's good to go over the specifics so they're well informed.