wicking question

First of all, I just wanted to thank all you crafty people out there who are so helpful and friendly on this sight. People tend to be competative especially if they are making it a business, and you are all supportive to one another.

Anyway, I was wondering. I am using 16 and 24oz melting pot containers. I am having problems wicking them. I use MC 125 100% soy. I use 1 oz per pound of wax. I use HTP 1312 that MC offers. Yet still I have tunneling. How do these bigger companies do it without double wicking it? Is it because theirs is a blend? We all know deep down inside Beanpod and Root are blends. False advertising on there parts. I have tried two 104's and 105's not enough heat. I even tried 2 126 still not enough. I am getting so frustrated. Somebody give me some advise. I don't want to give up on 100% soy at least for the containers. But somebody throw a solution at me to try that is fool proof for 100% that still throws enough scent and has a full diameter burn pool for a four inch diameter jar.

Thanks again

Just a suggestion..

try adding some crisco to your wax ! I would start out from 9-10%..

this lowers your melting point in your wax thus giving it a better burn which might actually give you a full melt pool.. This was a suggestion that was given to me at a soy wax meeting from Golden foods.. and belive me I am testing some jars tonight that I could not get a complete melt pool with.. so far it is working.....

Cathy

I don't know of the soy wax your using and I have never used the HTP wicks either. I always use Eco Soy Advanced or another blend of different soy waxes I have. I also use Eco wicks and I have a great scent throw. Just an idea....You almost just have to do some extensive experimenting to find the wicks and wax that works great for you. Good luck! :)

Just a suggestion..

try adding some crisco to your wax ! I would start out from 9-10%..

this lowers your melting point in your wax thus giving it a better burn which might actually give you a full melt pool.. This was a suggestion that was given to me at a soy wax meeting from Golden foods.. and belive me I am testing some jars tonight that I could not get a complete melt pool with.. so far it is working.....

Cathy

Cathy,

Are you getting alot of smoking with the crisco in your wax? I was always told never to do this because it will cause smoking..

I would love to see pictures of the with crisco and without crisco if you won't mind posting pictures sometime...

No smoking at all with crisco...

crisco is actully hydrogenated soy .. it just has less emulsifier in it.. which keeps it softer.. then 100% soy wax.. so far with 1.1 ounces of crisco per pound I am hitting the edges of my jars.. 12 ounce victorian.. some fragrances will work without crisco .. but others I have had a hard time with.. funny though the 1.5 is not coming close and nether is the .7 or .9........

I have to change jars at the moment .. because my supplier is unable to get mine anymore.. and after all these years.. it is back to testing different jars till I find one that I like.... Grrrrrrrr.. seems like the testing never ends...... and almost puts a stop to your candle making...:undecided

Cathy

Thanks Cathy,

I tried 1 ounce of crisco per pound. I was too shy to go over that. I just did one candle. I am trying it on a 16oz jar with a 1312 wick. I will see what comes out of that. Strawberries and creme is the scent I tried. I have a hard time with that particular scent but the Crisco throws it right out there right after the pour. I will test it tomorrow.

Well let us know how that works for you.. the only one I had work so far was Storm watch.. and that was with 1.1 ounce.. it was meant only for an ounce but I went over by accident.. the others the flames almost went out on thier own..

someone just suggested to me to try mixing in the 115 with it.. have not tried that mix yet..but I believe that would be a softer wax also..

I do not have any of it .. but plan on ordering some.. now today I am going to try with a 1212 wick .. I do not have the 1312..

I just did not want to go with an Http wick and have been trying to avoid it..

Don't worry we will figure it out:D

Cathy

I have been extensively testing the melting pot jars in those sizes, using MC soy and Candlemakers Store soy (both of which are the Golden Brands 415) and am having real good luck with HTPs. I don't go over 7% FO load and don't need to use bigger than 2 x HTP 83. I have used 3% BW in the MC soy and 30% J50 in the CS soy and no problems with wicking, even with FOs like Bayberry and Sandalwood.

It seems unusual that you are having bad luck with wicking and tunneling with such large wicks. You should double check your measurements and make sure you are not actually using too much FO. The other possibility is that you got a weird batch of wax.

I've not experimented with Crisco in soy, only in J50, and I'm not sure it helped in that situation. If you would like, I could send you a pound of my MC soy and you could send me a pound of your MC soy and we can test them to see if we can reporduce each others results, and determine if the wax is the problem. Just PM me and let me know.

geek :grin2:

Hi Geek,

I was usually use 1 oz weighed of Natures Garden FO's to 16 oz weighed of MC's 125 soy. It said all soybean whether wax or oil additives. I was trying not to double wick because it would seem so hot to me which made me feel like I was making more carbon than desired. I guess double wicking intimidates me. I know everyone will say maybe the wick is too large? But its the heat of two flames that gets me.

Is MC'S 415 the same as 125? Have you also tried their pillar? They won't tell me all of the ingredients just that there is no soy and no parafin in it. It has an unusual scent to it and it molds perfectly. Real creamy looking and smooth.

Today I am burning the strawberries and cream crisco candle and seeing how it goes. I can't seem to find a level surface in my house which frustrates me more because then the candles tendle to lean towards one side. Leaving an overhang on one side. OY VEH!

Do any of you have a all vegetable solution to making a blend with the soy? I usually use only EO's without any dyes. But with the FO's I still want it natural but need suggestions. I don't mind frost lines because it's the nature of the beast. But if there is any formulations that could help hold the scent better and prevent tunneling. That you have experienced. Crisco is in the works. Or if it is still tunneling should I add more Crisco the next pound of wax? Don't want to take anyones ideas just need some advise.

Thanks all!

By the way geek I just found your other post in 100% vegetable or not. I am going to check with Golden regarding the pillar blend. Just for allergy reasons because I have a skin reaction to parafin. So I NEED to make sure there is absolutely none.

Thanks again.

I was usually use 1 oz weighed of Natures Garden FO's to 16 oz weighed of MC's 125 soy. It said all soybean whether wax or oil additives. I was trying not to double wick because it would seem so hot to me which made me feel like I was making more carbon than desired. I guess double wicking intimidates me. I know everyone will say maybe the wick is too large? But its the heat of two flames that gets me.

I find that single wicking makes for a large flame, almost torch-like. It tends to visibly soot more due to air turbulence in the jar. Double wicking in my testing may cut into the total burn time some, but it substantially reduces the sooting. Also it is real hard to get a big melt pool with even the biggest HTPs in soy, about 3 1/2" is as wide as you can go single wick with HTP126 or 1312. As far as heat goes, as long as the flames are not too close to the glass, double wicking is fine.

Is MC'S 415 the same as 125? Have you also tried their pillar? They won't tell me all of the ingredients just that there is no soy and no parafin in it. It has an unusual scent to it and it molds perfectly. Real creamy looking and smooth.

MC's 125 MP soy is the Golden Brands 415. Lots of suppliers sell the 415 as their own house brand, it really is a good wax. I have some of their pillar blend soy but have not tried it yet.

BTW how do you like thos Melting Pot jars? I luuuuuve them!

geek :grin2:

I took your advise and email Jason to ask him about the pillar blend. I didn't get a reply yet. Either the girl at MC wasn't listening close enough but their web sight says the Pillar blend is palm based with coconut oil and other botanicals. Yet if you go through Goldens they say their pillar blend is Soy based with cottonseed oils. When you get a chance try their pillar blend and tell me what you think. Its a great wax I just want to make sure it is all vegetable.

I will try double wicking again. I have no other option with this jar. I also have 24oz and they surely have to be double wicked. Maybe I am turned off to HTP wicks I see what people mean when they say they lean off to one side. I get a melt pool going that direction. I think I would rather risk the mushrooming. Have you tried any cotton wicks for double wicking yet with that wax. I have a ton of 62's I wonder if those are two big?

I like the Melting Pot Jars but DH decided to order a ton of the frosted ones. I want to save the frosted look for aromatherapy with another style. I wanted to do plain glass. So I have to wait to use up these jars. A lot of people told me they like that style for an apothacary. I wish it was a tad thicker. My DH went to put the lid back on and he shattered the jar just with his strength. He is spoiled by the thickness of YC jars.

Have you tried any cotton wicks for double wicking yet with that wax. I have a ton of 62's I wonder if those are two big?

Haven't tried cottons but it couldn't hurt to try them in the 16 oz. If you look at the HTPs, each side has a V design in the braid of the wick. It will bend to the side where the point of the V points up; that is, the V is upside down. You can position the wicks about 3/4" to 1" apart and centered in the jar, with the wicks bending out away from each other. It is a bit of a hassle sometimes but it works well for me. I have a EZ-Wick multi wick setter that makes it a little easier to position in the jar.

I have noticed that some of the fitments on the MP jars are a little tight, and I feared breaking one when putting it back on, but I like them alot. It tends to hide the odd coke-bottle bottom look when the wax decides to pull away from the jar, especially with the parasoy I'm playing with.

your geek :grin2: