? re Snowtop soy container wax

Hi everyone!!

Very new to candle making. Tried my 1st batch yesterday, with Snowtop 100% soy wax. Followed directions, and added the full load of 1.5oz FO to the 1lb of wax. I made 2 small 4oz jj candles for something easy. The tops are flat, and wick stayed centered, but the wax itself looks almost grainy(sp?). If that makes any sense!! LOL!!! I was hoping for a more creamy look.

I havent burned yet. The directions for this part. wax suggests waited about 48hrs for cure time. I also used NG's hemp wick.

I was thinking that maybe I should try KY container blend. There seems to be a lot of good reviews of this.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Renee

Soy sometimes will set up with lumpy bumpy tops - its just the nature of soy and doesn't affect the burn or throw. You can add some BW to help smooth your tops and it will help with scent throw. Also, pouring when the wax gets slushy or around 100 degrees can help your tops be smoother.

I've been using Snowtop for quite a while now and I love it.

I heat the wax in my microwave to about 190 degrees - I use a large, 32 oz, Pyrex measuring cup. Then I add the color - stir. I add the fo at 175 degrees - stir well. I pour at about 100 degrees (slushy stage) - stir very well! The tops are always smooth. The scent throw is great! I also use Snowtop's fragrance oil.

I usually make 8oz tins using HTP 1212 wicks.

Since Snowtop doesn't carry a votive wax yet, I've been thinking about using KY pillar/votive blend for my votives. I've heard a lot of good things about KY too! If you check out their website, they have a message board that can give you alot of information.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks so much for all of the thoughts!!

I have only heated the wax to 175 degrees, added the fo, mixed for a long time, then let it cool to about 100 dg, the slushy stage as the directions said. I poured an 8oz candle with hemp wick from NG, the 1400 size, and then with the left overs I poured some tarts. The tops are nice and level on everything, it just looks weird. Not a creamy const. I dont really care, if it will still have a good scent throw. I did use the max scent though, at 1.5oz for the 1 lb melted. They have a great cold throw so far.

Snowtop is the 1st soy wax I have used, so I didnt really have anything to compare it to. I have just been using local craft store wax.

Thanks again for all of the help!!! I am so new at this that everything helps!!!

Renee

When you're pouring a 100% soy wax it's not so much the exact temperature of the wax but the look/consistency of the wax when you pour it. I find that with different FO's my exact pouring temperature changes. While I do leave the temperature probe in, I really watch how the wax looks. If the wax starts to get cloudy, has a light film on, and has the consistency of cough syrup then I pour it into my containers

I have had the same thing happen to my natural wax blend and this is going to be a switch, but you might have poured too cold! I know that many believe this impossible, but if you let soy wax set up too much, it becomes gainy and resembles watery grits! Also it will frost like a bugger if it is poured that cold. I don't think it hurts the performance of the candle burning/scent wise, but it does look odd.

"Watery Grits" is right on!!! LOL!!!

I am going to take some suggestions, and really wait until it gets a little cloudy, and slight film. I am trying again!!

I dont really mind how it looks so much. I figure its soy, and I am not going for the perfect candle. Just one that I like, and maybe give as gifts, etc...

I really love tarts, and I thought I might save some $$$ if I made some myself.

I am no where near even thinking about a business venture. I just want to learn how to make a good candle.

Thanks again for all of the help!! I have learned so much from this forum!! It is great!!

Renee

Just wanted to say thank you again for all of the help!!

I did pour at a warmer temp, with a slight slushy state, and the candles came out beautiful!!! Flat nice tops, and a nice creamy look. They have an awesome cold throw so far. Cant wait to try them!! LOL!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Renee

Just wanted to say thank you again for all of the help!!

I did pour at a warmer temp, with a slight slushy state, and the candles came out beautiful!!! Flat nice tops, and a nice creamy look. They have an awesome cold throw so far. Cant wait to try them!! LOL!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Renee

You probably poured at around 100 degrees because that is about the temp when the wax starts getting kind of slushy. This is the temp I have most success with in achieving smooth flat tops. You've just got to love the unpredictability of soy. :P