B&B Production contamination issues

Liz

First thing that popped into my head before the sun has come out here :eek::P Is what steps should a new B&B person take to avoid "contamination & sterilization" issues when producing B&B products as I am sure this has to be a major issue in these products?

1) do we have to wear those sterile doctor gloves when we mix bases and stuff?

2) how about those little blue air filters to prevent our germs from getting on the stuff?

3) do we have to clean out our containers where our products end up going in? For instance, when we order B&B containers (jars, bottles etc) to put our product in, what do we have to do to ensure that they are not contaminated by whatever gazillion little "buggies" that could be in there:confused:

Do we have to wash out every container with hot soap and water? Or is there some other process that we have to use if any to ensure that we aren't putting our good products into a bad situation.

What can we do during the production process to ensure no contamination during the process, if anything. Basically that kind of preventive stuff ;)

Thanks Liz

Well I don't know about anyone else, but here's what I do.

I wash out all my containers in water w/ a little bit bleach to kill any germs and then right before I use them, I clean them out with alcohol. The area I work in is always disinfected right before I start to make my stuff. I wear rubber gloves, an apron and keep my hair covered in a bandana. I wear goggles when necessary. I also use a bottle of bleach water to disinfect the area where I work as well as any of my equipment. I always have on hand too a spray bottle of vinegar in case I get any lye on me. I put a preservative in my body butters to help also. I try to be as sanitary as possible to keep the chance of any nasties getting into my products.

Hi Liz,

I dont know if you're making your B&B with plans to sell it, but I do know that Florida has VERY strict laws around that, as well as expensive fees.

Being as sterile as possible is always good though! dont want to contaminate your product!

I always wear gloves and put my hair up.

All utensils/containers/spoons/thermometers are washed in the dishwasher. I also soak utensils in a sterilizing solution that DH uses for his microbrew equipment - the name escapes me now.

Wipe down all the counters where I'm working with a light bleach solution.

I don't wash my containers - I keep them stored in the bags they come in, so they are free from dust and dirt. I don't want to introduce any problems by getting them wet. They come clean from the supplier. Sometimes if I'm worried, I'll rinse them with alcohol.

That's what I've been doing as I've been testing lotions. The next step I never got too, but it's important if you are serious about cleanliness.

When formula finished (a one time deal), send out for challenge test. If can't afford that, send out for multiple APC areobic plate count tests...

Each live batch, send sample out for APC test.

I too am glad I don't live in Florida - my work area wouldn't pass inspection since it's the kitchen :)

I always wear gloves and put my hair up.

All utensils/containers/spoons/thermometers are washed in the dishwasher. I also soak utensils in a sterilizing solution that DH uses for his microbrew equipment - the name escapes me now.

Wipe down all the counters where I'm working with a light bleach solution.

I don't wash my containers - I keep them stored in the bags they come in, so they are free from dust and dirt. I don't want to introduce any problems by getting them wet. They come clean from the supplier. Sometimes if I'm worried, I'll rinse them with alcohol.

I don't have a dishwasher (wish I did) so that is why I wash them in bleach water. I wish my jars were cleaned when I got them. That's cool that yours are! Sure would save me some time. I took a CPR class once and they told me that a bleach water solution will kill just about anything, including AIDS. They use it to disinfect their CPR mannaquins (sp?). I figure if its good enough for the Red Cross, its good enough for me. :P I don't do lotions - they scare me too much. LOL I keep it to body butters. I think those that do lotions are so brave. :)

Soapnuts has some good articles on laws etc,,also just punch in www.fda.gov and look under beauty laws etc. I think the number is still 1-888-463-6332.They explain what should be put on bubble bath labels,creams etc..where the

(label) should be place on the jars .How they should read. They can come in and check the place you are making them should a complaint arrise....Bath products not to be store with or near food/tobacco etc..laws like that..Hope this helps...Linda