Consignment stores

I have just been told about a couple of craft malls in my area. A friend of mine was at one last week and talked to the owner about my candles. She then picked up some info and sent it to me.

I seems that they provide the booth type/shelf area..(I would pay for that by the month...60.00 for the smallest and then up) and I would keep all the profits. This business keeps the books and pays the taxes for you. I would receive 2 checks a month for the profits. They also do the stocking. I would just drop off product. They require vendors to work a few hours a month also.

Does anyone have experience with this type of thing. It's the first I have heard about it, but I am not a big shopper.

Let me know.

Sounds pretty good.

j.

We pay $120 month for a 10 x 10 space. If you want walls you have to pay for the material and put them up yourself. They do not hold out any commission. It is month to month. Get a check once a month. Have to stock it ourself and keep it clean. They pay the sales tax and you turn it in when you file your taxes. They hire their own employees so we do not have to work there. Good luck.

I pay $50/month for an 8x4 space that I decorate and stock myself. I pay a 3-7% commission on sales, and work 8 hours/month. They pay sales tax for me. I get a check every week.

Make sure you get a good contract and make sure it covers damaged product. Especially if they drop it while stocking your merchandise or if a fire, water damage, etc.

Make sure it's in a high traffic area too. You can have the best product for miles, but if it's not right in a customer's face they aren't going to see it. I am in a 2 story bldg and had a 8x6 space on the second floor. I moved to a smaller space (dropped my partner) on the 1st floor in a high traffic area and sales have more than tripled. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION (LOL)

I've been in several locations, and from the replys you've received - are great ones!

1) Location, Location, Location

2) You stock it, keep it clean

3) They pay the taxes, and you get a check. Some are monthly, others may be different.

4) Important! --> Keep your Expensive items up high - as little fingers can do a great deal of damage and not pay for it.

5) Did I menchion Location?

6) How long has the place been in business? Do they advertise? Are they well known?

7) Package / Shrink-wrap what you can.

8) Be Professional. Look at what others do. See how the items are presented/boxed/labeled.

-Regards

Robert Frase

http://www.robertfrase.com/My%20Candles.htm