Poly vs. Cyclo?

hank7fd

ok, yes i'm new to this (in fact, i haven't started to make)... after searching for a body/room spray recipe i have noticed that some people are stating to use:

50% Distilled H2O

50% Witch Hazel

FO

along with this...either cyclomethicone or polysorbate 20

can someone please explain why the variation or the difference in product would be. is this a "fool proof" recipe...or is it like everything...test, test, and test some more?

Thanks everyone for any assistance...:o

Not sure exactly what you're asking here.. But the cyclomethicone is not something you would add to the Distilled water, Witch Hazel, FO combo.

With cyclo you just add FO (and if you desire you can also add the Poly20, but it isn't necessary). The Polysorbate20 acts (I believe) as an emulsifier/dispersing agent. It mixes oil and water. It also acts as a lubricant, and I have read that it stabilizes FO. I know that some people use polysorb in their cyclomethicone recipes, and others use it in their witch hazel blends.. read up on it to decide if it's something you want to add.

They are two totally different beasts.

The poly is an emusifier, to put it in a water based product, blend your poly with your fo (you'll have a different ratio for each fo if you want it crystal clear, anywhere from 1 part poly to 1 part fo to 6 parts poly to 1 part fo. If you're packing in non-see through containers, you can keep it at 1 to 1. Then take your blend and put it in water that has been held at 170+ for 20 minutes and cooled down to about 120. Then add your witch hazel.

Cyclo by itself is not soluable in water.

Cyclomethicone is a silicone product that gives great feel and slip to lotions and such. People have found that many FOs will blend in well with it by itself, or with a light oil. Easy to use since there wouldn't be any water in the formula. So it's a popular choice for a "dry oil spray"...

But even with cyclo you'd still have to test. Some FOs are "miscible" is the correct term, they'll separate out. Some will partially mix but be cloudy. Others stay clear.

Nothings a fool proof recipe :) sorry :) Look how many variations there on on whipping butters lol...