A study in ash....

Janis

I haven't had ash in awhile. I'm always curious as to what causes it. This was a test batch I did. I put most of the soap in a sort of cube plastic container. It had no ash at all. Then I put the leftovers into these two silicone molds. The soap in the flip-flop mold ashed, but the soap in the shell mold didn't. My base oil is RBO (I know there is more chance of soap ashing with RBO). I soaped VERY cool (I know ther is more chance of soap ashing when you soap cool). I didn't let it gel--put it in the fridge to make sure it wouldn't. So, why did the flip-flops ash, but the shell didn't?:undecided

post-466-139458395922_thumb.jpg

No idea why you go ash on one and not the other but thanks for the info regarding RBO and soaping cool.

I must recently added RBO to my basic recipe and I always soap cool so I will be keeping my out for the ASH fairies. I have not had ash in awhile either, really during the cooler months it seems to have gone away. I will have to take note when it gets warm again and see if it increases.

I do want to say however that your soaps are really cute! ;)

Are they scented?

Yes, they are scented. The test was for an eo blend of tea tree, litsea, lemon, lavender, and rosemary. It smells heavenly.

Ya know, both of the silicone molds have about the same volume, I think. I just can't figure this one out, lol.

Hmmm... Maybe the ash one cooled down quicker?

Geeze.. I really have no clue, but figured I'd take a guess.

You know, as I look at both of them, I guess the flip-flops DO have less volume than the shells. Maybe the flip-flops did cool down sooner. Just seems like they aren't that much different in size, though.

Ok Janis, got a question for you or and/or anyone who cares to answer..

What is ash to you?

Is it a frosting of white on the top of the bars?

Or is it when your whole soap turns oddly white, bottom included?

Or both?

They seem to me two different beasts, and wonder which many are referring to when talking about ash.

Well, I guess for me it is when I get the white powdery-looking stuff on top of my bar. Having said that, when I use my slab mold, the ash occurs on the top where it is exposed to air. With the silicone molds, the ash on the flip-flops is actually occuring on the bottom, because the top IS the bottom, if you know what I mean, lol.

Ah, the mysteries of ash. I only get it on the tops that are exposed to air. I never get it on cut surfaces, or those on the sides/bottom of the mold. I almost always get it with lavender if I don't soap warmer than usual. I don't get it often in log molds, mostly with my slabs. I get it worse when I pour at a thin trace, rarely get it when I pour at heavy trace. My OMH slab that I just cut didn't get any at all.

I control it by temperature, mainly. And pouring thicker.