crisco in candles

Crisco refers to the vegetable shortening (creamy stuff). It's partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil.

What you heard is left over from earlier days of the candlemaking hobby, when some people experimented with formulating container blends. Crisco and petrolatum (petroleum jelly) are ingredients to decrease wax shrinkage. They would need to be combined with a suitable base paraffin and other ingredients to get something good. Don't underestimate the amount of learning and testing required.

Adding either of these ingredients to a preblended container wax is a waste of time. It's only likely to throw things out of whack.

I'm curious as to what should I add to a pillar blend to knock the meltpoint low enough to use it in containers. I buy candlewic's 4045h in 50 lbs cases, so I have plenty to experiement with.

You could try adding mineral oil, but I'm not sure with the wax that you have that it would work very nicely. Try adding about 5% of your wax weight and then scent the weight of both the wax AND the oil since the oil becomes part of the wax. But again, I'm not totally sure if this will work with your wax.