ECO Wicks

I have been making candles for a little over a year and thought I had conquered the size wicks for the Lucida jars I am using. (They are an apothecary style jar with a diameter of 4") Double wicking with a #6 ECO wick worked great for the 8 oz., but am now finding once the wax has melted to below half the jar in the 16 oz. and 26 oz. jars, the wicks don't burn hot enough and somtimes extinguish themselves. My thought is they are not getting enough air and need larger wicks or I need to use a different type of wick. I really have been impressed with the ECO wick but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
My thought is they are not getting enough air and need larger wicks or I need to use a different type of wick. I really have been impressed with the ECO wick but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Your thoughts about air flow are correct. The deeper you get intot he container you go, the more air flow is created by the heat from the flame. It's not necessarily not getting enough air, but the air flow certainly inhibits the flame, etc.

You will find this issue regardless of which type of wick you use. If your wicks do extinguish themselves you probably do need to wick up a size. You can compensate for the increases size by movinf your wicks a bit closer together. I love the Eco's too.