Recipe For A Newbie Just Starting

ladysj

What would you suggest for the best recipe for me to try beings this is going to be my first attempt at making real soap. I'm wanting something simple/inexpensive. I have jojoba oil, cocoa butter, sweet almond, macadamia. I'm so excited seeing all of the wonderful soaps that have been made and I really want to start doing soaps. TIA

Do you have any other oils, like olive? The oils you listed are normally more of an additive oil rather than a base, because (partially) they are more expensive. Someone else would be better at explaining why poeple use certain oils (like Olive, Palm, Coconut, Palm Kernal, Canola, Rice Bran, Soybean, ect.) as base oils. I don't have a good starter recipe for you, but there ARE tons of them in our recipe section. And I thinkin robin's CP tutorial there is a good one as well. And if you haven't seen her tutorial, Check it out, it's awesome! I kept going back to the computer and looking at it to make sure I was making my first batch right:D . Good Luck , and don't forget to post pics!

I do have Olive Oil, Canola. I'm not very mathematically inclined so when I see recipes with percentages instead of ounces it really confuses me. I'll check out the tutorial and the link. Thank you

Don't be afraid of math, LOL. I like this calc, http://soapcalc.com/calc/SoapCalc.asp

It uses percentages. Plug in your total oils for the batch size, percentages of each for the recipe and the soapcalc will return the amount you need of each, plus water and lye. Piece of cake!

An easy beginner recipe that I just made up myself when I was getting started:

50% olive oil

25% coconut oil

25% palm oil

This will give you a decent bar of soap, and the measurements are easy.

One tip I would recommend: if you are making a small batch, switch your scale to grams and weigh your ingredients. Much more accurate than ounces.

IMO, this is a good soap recipe because it balances hard and soft oils, and balances bar hardness with lathering and conditioning qualities as well. HTH!

There are tons of recipies on the net. TO start, find a recipe with simple ingredients that interests you. My first one used coconut, olive and lard, easy to get from Walmart or other stores. Made 2 pounds and it fit in a silverware tray from Wal-Mart. I took one of the recipes from Millers site and put it into a calulator and, with a printed copy of how to use it from this site, learned how to use the calculator. Since every batch of soap you will make has to be run thru a calculator, it is a good idea to learn how to use one first thing, before any soap is made. I resized the basic recipe to the 2 pounds [32 oz] and printed that off to make. I did that with 2 other recipies from that site to get started, not adding fragrance, just making plain soap. Then, I started to get other oils and started doing my own thing, creating recipies. I had DH make me a mold and ordered a few others. I ordered colors and learned to swirl, started adding fragrance and dealing with the occaisional accelerated trace. After a few more bars of soap, I learned about water discounting. I'm now surrounded by women wanting to try out my latest project. Good luck... soap is a wonderful addiction. Now I'm off to learn how to make body butter and scrubs!

One thing that helps me as I can be mathmatically challanged also -I use 2 calculators. First I use MMS-calc to convert to percentages for me then I plug these percents into the SOOZ calc for the actual recipe amounts.

HTH,

Glo

PS, If your not adverse to using animal products, lard (from Walmart or grocery) makes a fabulous soap-one of the nicest in my opinion.

One thing that helps me as I can be mathmatically challanged also -I use 2 calculators. First I use MMS-calc to convert to percentages for me then I plug these percents into the SOOZ calc for the actual recipe amounts.

HTH,

Glo

PS, If your not adverse to using animal products, lard (from Walmart or grocery) makes a fabulous soap-one of the nicest in my opinion.

LOL -- I do that too! (With the 2 diff. calculators.)

Yes, I agree with Glo. If you want, you could sub lard for the palm in my recipe. Plug that recipe into the calculator and see what kind of soap you get! You could also take out 5% of the olive oil and replace it with 5% castor oil. You can get all the ingredients at a Super Walmart that way. :wink2: