What's your favorite oil to use in lotion?

lindsaycb

You're gonna think I'm crazy, but honestly... soybean.

I made a lotion with 100% soybean, and it was actually very nice. I like AKO as well, but it's more costly. FCO is also great and a bit lighter, but again, costly. So yep, my favorite is soybean. I like peanut oil too, and I believe it has sort of a built in sunscreen effect.

I can't tell a difference between my soybean lotion and the AKO lotion. But then again, I'm not really a lotion person. They all feel greasy to me, even with FCO.

(1) Olive Squalane Use this one in all recipes and I always substitute part of the water with Aloe juice.

(2) Shea Butter and Shea Oil

(3) Rose Hip Oil

(4) Evening Primrose Oil

(5) Jojoba Oil

(6) I usually add a small amount of glycerin but not too much because I think it makes it sticky.

Often I mix and match different oils and butters to see how I like them and since I don't sell any I have a bit more latitude. I have to always have lotion or mousse on hand because my 15 yr.old slathers herself morning and night.

Read up on how each oil/butter benifits the skin and play with recipes until you find one that you love. Also keep in mind that the amount of e-wax, stearic etc. ( emulsifiers) will change the thickness, texture, and lubricity.

Making lotions is a lot easier than most people would think and you can start off making small batches to experiment.

Read up on how each oil/butter benifits the skin and play with recipes until you find one that you love.

Making lotions is a lot easier than most people would think and you can start off making small batches to experiment.

I agree with Shelia - There are many sites out there that have the properties of the different oils/butters. Find out which ones fit your skin needs and work with them. Here are two of the sites.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/Fixed.asp

http://www.herbalaccents.com/massageoilrecipescarrieroils.htm

Lotion is more forgiving to work with so don't be intimidated by them.

I love fnwl...that's where I always go.

I've made Bandi's OOH which my testers raved about. But I don't want a cream...then again, I've never tried to pump it. Does it work in a pump bottle?

My latest was a sunflower lotion with aloe juice & glycerin. Its good. But I find it not enough for me.

I don't remember my results on a full macadamia nut lotion. But in general, I find lotion very easy and so much fun. Love watching the oil & water become something. Very cool!

Okay, I'm just going to keep trying different blends.

My favorite oil is Macadamia. It is very moisturizing, yet not too heavy. I use it in scrubs and lotions.

I also made Bandi's OOH lotion and mine is in a pump. It worked out just fine. It is a bit thick, but still very nice. I think you can get rid of the stearic and up the water for a thinner consistency.

Ann