Question about labels

Cari

I have several questions about labeling. When you put the weight for Jelly Jars are you putting 8oz. or 6oz.? Since my biz isn't in the phone book I have to put my home address? Or is city and state and my phone number ok?

Thanks for any help.

C

I have to disagree with what Sharyl says about only the phone number. Federal regulation (section 500.5 c) states:

"The statement of the place of business shall include the street address, city, State, and Zip Code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city directory or telephone directory."

As far as the Net Wt, you will need to weigh the finished candle, subtract the container weight then round up to the nearest ounce. I believe the regulations also state that it must also be noted in metric (i.e. “Net Weight 12 oz. (340 g)”). In addition, the text has to be a certain size and separated by a certain distance - depending on the size of the label.

I know it's not fun to read but it's always better to CYA. Here's the link:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=ccf82b5f2a461d2b59ac31fef4a7b0f8;rgn=div5;view=text;node=16%3A1.0.1.5.56;idno=16;cc=ecfr#PartTop

Guest EMercier

Well, then there are a lot of places that should not be selling. I recently bought a candle from Target for inspiration and it didn't have the company name or the weight or anything on it. I believe contact info should be on there, but there are a lot of businesses that get away without it.

Thanks for the help. I was wondering about the 8oz jelly jars since that is what everyone refers to them as. Also like someone PMed to me, they had there home addy on there labels and people started showing up there wanting candles and not calling first. I really don't want that to happen. And I agree with EMercier, there ARE alot of larger candle biz that don't have all this info on there labels. I jsut can't see where physical address is needed. I have a phone number and my town and state plus my web addy. Seems like someone could reach me one way or another.

CindyM...thank you so much for letting me know that i'm good with the web addy and don't have to put my home address on the label.

now if i can just figure out what to do about 8oz jelly jars....

C

I have to disagree with what Sharyl says about only the phone number. Federal regulation (section 500.5 c) states:

"The statement of the place of business shall include the street address, city, State, and Zip Code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city directory or telephone directory."

As far as the Net Wt, you will need to weigh the finished candle, subtract the container weight then round up to the nearest ounce. I believe the regulations also state that it must also be noted in metric (i.e. “Net Weight 12 oz. (340 g)”). In addition, the text has to be a certain size and separated by a certain distance - depending on the size of the label.

I know it's not fun to read but it's always better to CYA. Here's the link:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=ccf82b5f2a461d2b59ac31fef4a7b0f8;rgn=div5;view=text;node=16%3A1.0.1.5.56;idno=16;cc=ecfr#PartTop

I totally agree with Jeff here ya'll. If you're going to make the step from a hobby to selling, everything needs to be in line, whether it looks good on your lable or not. Make it look good, figure out a way. A website will not suffice, at least for now. It must have all the info listed above, and much more than that for B&B..