Mailing Brochures...

Dianeb

TO PROSPECTIVE WHOLESALE BUYERS. Has anyone done this to drum up some new accounts? If so, what else do you send with the brochure. Do you send samples? Trying to get my name out there without driving all over the country, The towns around me are kinda far apart, I thought maybe trying to mail brochures out might help some. There aren't very many craft shows around. I have my candles in a few local shops. Any help would be appreciated

I would not send out samples willy-nilly. That's way too expensive in my opinion (at least it would be for me). What you might consider is sending postcards and request that they call you if they are interested in a free sample.

In some cases, it wouldn't matter what the sample was. If it says free, they want it.

Even if your phone never rings, it will allow you to then call the company and say you are following up regarding the postcard, and offer to deliver a sample in person if they thought they might be interested. The reason to do this is that it would be more difficult for someone to take advantage of you if they had to do it in person. If you met them in person you could then brag about how wonderful your products are, unlike if you just dropped a sample in the mail.

I know you don't want to do a lot of driving, but perhaps you could schedule appointments for one day to deliver all the samples that you need to.

Had a candle company call my store and asked if they could send a free sample to me. i said sure, maybe it's a good one. Anyway, came in a fancy box by fedex, was very impressed, until the fedex guy said he's been delivering them to every store in town. So, my suggestion would be to pick you stores you like. Dropping by is not in the best interest, as the buyer may not be there or is busy, you could just dop of info and take their card then follow up. Most likely they will want to test burn them, you could make up mini candles or charge them for them. Do internet searches to find stores that you think your item would fit in, don't go to every business if it isn't their look. Like me, no pastels in my store, no fancy ribbon, cutesy, etc. Prim is my look, so for example if you would send me info and it was that way, it would just go in the trash. If it was prim, i would give it a try, but I may not be in the look for a new candle line. IMHO

I would pull the SIC codes for the area gift shops.. Pick and choose your first mailing. I loved the idea about calling to receive a sample that way you can engage the shop owner/buyer about their needs.

I would then follow up on the mailing with a phone call

Hi, this is (insert)

Do you have a minute (most import part of cold calling)

I am following up on a offer I sent to you about a free sample of my (insert). Are candles a product your store currently carries?. I would like to know what I can do to compete for your (insert) business. (Let the shop owner tell you 99% of the time they will)

Wait until after you made the calls to the first mailing.. Map the responses. Then send out another mailing.

Sorry if this qualify's as TOO much info for you.

I don't make candles/My mother does. I just do the business development for her.

I own a company that does branding for TV/Radio.

Lorna

Lorna what are SIC codes and where do I find them? I don't follow what you mean in the one section, ( I would like to know what I can do to compete for your (insert ? ) business. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Dianeb

Last year I took out the phone book for my area looked in the gift section and started with florists. I think I mailed 11 of my wholesale brochures out and got 2 respones within the month. (I didn't do any follow_up after I mailed the brochures.) The next one on my list was gift shops/anitque store. I didn't get any respones from any of them for about 3 months. I should have done the follow up.....

My brochure consisted of all my products and a seperate but attached price list. When all was said and done within the year I had 7 account. I mailed out 30 or something brochures. I should have been able to get more accounts. I should have done the follow ups.

After talking to some freinds about this they siad maybe sending a post card with a reminder about the my products would have helped.

Thanks Glowlite, I'll keep your suggestion in mind about the post cards. I have already wrote down alot of the different florist and gift shops in the surrounding area. I have made up a brochure for retail/buyers with the wholesale prices of my products, which right now only consist of 8oz jj and tarts. I'm going to have to do the follow ups like everyone is suggesting.

Thanks again

Dianeb

What taylor meant was (insert?) (the type of business)I think that is it.

Like, Hi this is (insert your name) Dianeb

You just say "How my products will fit in with your "craft" business or "floral" business etc"

HTH

LynnS