Thermometer

Not long ago there was a brief conversation about an inexpensive Taylor thermomenter. It's basically a chef's pocket thermometer.

I commented that I was familiar with and fond of this thermometer (even very inexpensive Taylor digitals are impressively accurate), but that I wasn't using it for candlemaking because of various drawbacks. Then I happened to notice that there was a commercial model I had never seen before. I've now got one and thought I'd report back.

This "commercial" model addresses every drawback I pointed out about the cheaper model and it's still inexpensive and very accurate. The stem that was too short is still not long but it's significantly longer. The top portion is now waterproof, so I think it may have a better chance of survival if dropped in molten wax. I remarked that the old model is actually easy to drop because it's small and awkward to hold. Much to my surprise, that was addressed too. The pocket clip tube has a hold in it so that the thermometer stem can go through perpendicular to the tube, converting the pocket clip into a handle.

Gotta give this 5 stars for a cheap thermometer. It's very functional and accurate. It's fast but not instant. It can take 10 or 15 seconds to get a stable reading, depending on conditions and how far you can dip the stem.

Not MurryHill, but I thought I would throw in my 2¢.

I picked up a Pyrex digital with alarm at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.00. It has a magnet on the face plate. It is hard to attach to pour/melting pots so I banded two skewers together to keep the probe from hitting the sides & bottom of the melt container.

I did some research on other brands of thermometers with flexible probes & the probe is the first part to malfunction. I have not had a problem so far (about a year).

I really like my thermometer.

HTH,

Donna

Could you share where you got the commercial thermometer and how much it cost? Thanks! Pam

I picked up a Pyrex digital with alarm at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $20.00. It has a magnet on the face plate. It is hard to attach to pour/melting pots so I banded two skewers together to keep the probe from hitting the sides & bottom of the melt container.

I did some research on other brands of thermometers with flexible probes & the probe is the first part to malfunction. I have not had a problem so far (about a year).

I really like my thermometer.

Your skewers are a good idea and probably why your thermometer has been working like a champ. These oven thermometers with the corded probes can be ideal for candle making, but I've shied away because the probes can go bad if you use them in certain ways. I have the impression that if the whole probe were immersed in wax, it probably wouldn't last long.