CP questions

maryann

I've been searching the forum and visiting Miller's site gathering notes. After pouring over what I have, I have a few questions... basically I need help :) Some might sound silly but I want to be sure.

1- I came up with a recipe, the total weight is 49ounces... from the lye table 5%=6.61oz of lye and 6%=6.54, my scale only measures tenths so I'm safe using 6.60 oz of lye correct?

2- Using the recipe in #1, my fluid is between 12 to 18, I'm assuming 15 is good. The higher the oz of water used the longer, the curing time -right?

3- When mixing my UM for this recipe how much do I use, and how much glycerin and water do I use as well to mix w/ it (the batch is 42 oz) ? I've read the threads about this but didn't see any measurements.

4- I was thinking of using my presto pot to melt my butters. I use it when melting butters for all other recipes as I seem to be able to control the heat/temp better. Question is when I'm mixing the butters/oils with the lye what should I use. At this point how strong does the plastic have to be?

5- In Robin' tutorial, when showing the swirls, she says to pour the colored mixture in the main pot holding the cup high so the color goes to the bottom, then the picture shows her pouring into the mold... my question is, is that it I don't swirl in the pot a few times?

6- When looking for trace I thought I read somewhere before I started getting serious about researching CP that there will be a line created by the SBlender when you get close to trace (hope this makes sense)- is this true?

7- One batch I'd like to try w/ EO, how much EO is safe? I'm finding varying amounts when searching this.

I think that's it! :grin2:

THANK YOU for taking the time to help :)

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things - good luck!

1- I came up with a recipe, the total weight is 49ounces... from the lye table 5%=6.61oz of lye and 6%=6.54, my scale only measures tenths so I'm safe using 6.60 oz of lye correct?

Yup, I'd use 6.6. Even if your scale was off and you got 6.7 oz lye, it would be safe.

2- Using the recipe in #1, my fluid is between 12 to 18, I'm assuming 15 is good. The higher the oz of water used the longer, the curing time -right?''

What FO are you using? 15 oz is a nice medium amount, but for your first time, I might use 16 or 17. Especially if you've got a floral or a spicy FO that might trace really fast.

3- When mixing my UM for this recipe how much do I use, and how much glycerin and water do I use as well to mix w/ it (the batch is 42 oz) ? I've read the threads about this but didn't see any measurements.

I probably use somewhere around .5-1 teaspoon. Hard to tell, you've just got to try and say "oops, not enuf" :) I mix it with water in a little cup until it's just moistened and not lumpy.

4- I was thinking of using my presto pot to melt my butters. I use it when melting butters for all other recipes as I seem to be able to control the heat/temp better. Question is when I'm mixing the butters/oils with the lye what should I use. At this point how strong does the plastic have to be?

You can soap in stainless, glass, or plastic. The plastic should be able to take heat w/o getting all wobbly - something that goes through a dishwasher without warping would work. I use the gallon buckets my oils came in. I've also used a large Rubbermaid pitcher but that was kind of deep for me.

5- In Robin' tutorial, when showing the swirls, she says to pour the colored mixture in the main pot holding the cup high so the color goes to the bottom, then the picture shows her pouring into the mold... my question is, is that it I don't swirl in the pot a few times?

When you do the in-the-pot type of swirl, pouring it into the mold will swirl it for you. Sometimes I give it a little stir just cuz.

6- When looking for trace I thought I read somewhere before I started getting serious about researching CP that there will be a line created by the SBlender when you get close to trace (hope this makes sense)- is this true?

Yup. Lift your SB up - when the soap drips back onto the surface, it will stay there for a little bit before it blends back in. Eventually you'll be able to "feel" the right trace - sometimes you'll want it thick if you're doing fancy tops, sometimes you'll want it really thin if you want to swirl in a slab.

7- One batch I'd like to try w/ EO, how much EO is safe? I'm finding varying amounts when searching this. All EOs are different. You have to learn a bit about the skin properties and what's safe. For example, use an oz per pound of peppermint and you'll be dancing in your shower :) I usually keep EO blends to a total of .5-.7 oz per pound oils.

Good luck!

Everything Robin said. I will ad, for me when I first started CPing, I looked for the mixture to be like a very thin pudding when it was at trace. You will actually see the mixture start changing when you pour in the lye, I get trace very fast with the stick blender so sometimes I lay off of it when I am working with something new, I might start with it but when I get to light trace I back off and use my wooden spoon when I start adding ingredients.

Good Luck and can't wait to see your creations

Elle