Hmmm...how does that work, exactly?

daniedb

I was just reading this month's Yoga Journal, and I was browsing an ad from a nutritional supplement maker. It says, "The oil blend that enhances skin tone, aids digestion, improves concentration, diminished PMS symptoms, maintains healthy cholesterol levels....supports cardiovascular and immune health..." etc, etc.

Of course, there's an asterisk, and the disclaimer is, "This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to cure, diagnose or yadda yadda."

So...as long as I have a disclaimer that "this product won't actually cure you," I can say about my eczema balm, "A healing product that will banish eczema forever!" Yeah...I didn't think so. How in the world do they get away with that? I know that herbal supplements currently don't have to become FDA approved, but how can they make these amazing claims and not get in any trouble, when we have to be so careful?

One of the things about natural remedies, is that you can't say that something "cures" or "heals" without it being a prescription drug. If you say that a product of yours cures something, then you could actually be arrested for selling illegal drugs. Most over the counter medicines and vitamins and balms only say "it assists with" or "can help relieve symptoms of" etc.

There are many natural cures and remedies out there that can't say so just because of those laws, even if they actually do work.

On the other hand, though there are many products that actually DO work, there are many manufacturers that exploit the system and put those things on the bottles/packaging so they can look like other legitimate remedies.

So in essence, it is hard to say whether those things that are advertised are true or not, the best thing would be to do more research on the specific ingredients at well known and authoritative places to see if these claims have any basis in fact.

HTH :)