J300 and topping off?

I have been a die hard J223 user and love it. I just received J300 and have not used this before. I read up on it and saw that it "supposedly" does not require a topping off, if it's a single color candle. I poured a test candle last night into a pint regular mouth canning jar and it DID require topping off. I heated the wax to the temp it said to, and my jar was warmed as well. Wonder if using a wide mouth would be different?? This wax looks so smooth and pretty and cold throw is great. I went with J300 this time because I really wanted to get away from the topping off, but might just stick with the J223. Anyone have any info/advice as to topping off? (I also am testing the wick with this wax.... 51-32-18z. With J223 I always use 44-32-18 with no problems so I hope this wick does well).

Thanks ALL!

I haven't poured past the lines at the top of the jar and the sink holes aren't really big.......... but they are there and NOT flat. I poured another test candle this morning in a wide mouth kerr jar and there was a "slight" dip, nothing major, but still a "dip", so topped it off with the remaining wax I set aside just -in-case. Don't know what I am doing wrong.

I think that single-pour means "relatively small dip, so if you don't worry about it, this wax is a single-pour wax", lol. :rolleyes2 I never top off, I just use a heat gun on the tops if they have a big dip (I use J50). But if you are not getting completely flat tops, try pouring cooler and cooling slower. That may help.

I also heard from Doneen at BC that J300 is being discontinued. Thought you may want to know.

It figures! (J300 going away). I got mine from a place I always ordered my wax from, but he is going out of business in a couple weeks.

Wonder if it (Astorlite) is getting rid of it (J300) permanently , or is it just BC?

From what I understand, they are getting rid of it permanently, but keeping J50 and J223. I'm not sure when this will take place, but it's supposed to be a done-deal now.

From what I understand, they are getting rid of it permanently, but keeping J50 and J223. I'm not sure when this will take place, but it's supposed to be a done-deal now.

I also use J300 and I don't need a repour. I pour into the wide mouth pint and half pints and once cooled the wax starts to "crawl" up the wick the kind crack away (if the makes sense), but no dip. I hit them quick with my heat gun and it takes care of the problem.

About J300 being discontinued . . .I have been researching this issue since I LOVE this wax. From what I have gathered so far it seems that the IGI 6006 is supposed to be the replacement (???) A couple of suppliers have told me (per IGI) it is the same wax formulation and since IGI bought out Astorlite they won't be making both. I haven't tested the 6006 yet in a side by side. But will be soon! I am hoping they are the same since testing is tedious for me.

Sorry sawdustcottage to get off topic and hijack your thread . . .

I also use J300 and I don't need a repour. I pour into the wide mouth pint and half pints and once cooled the wax starts to "crawl" up the wick the kind crack away (if the makes sense), but no dip. I hit them quick with my heat gun and it takes care of the problem.

About J300 being discontinued . . .I have been researching this issue since I LOVE this wax. From what I have gathered so far it seems that the IGI 6006 is supposed to be the replacement (???) A couple of suppliers have told me (per IGI) it is the same wax formulation and since IGI bought out Astorlite they won't be making both. I haven't tested the 6006 yet in a side by side. But will be soon! I am hoping they are the same since testing is tedious for me.

Sorry sawdustcottage to get off topic and hijack your thread . . .

I've tested J300, but not 6006, so I have no idea if they are the same or even similiar. I just have a hard time believing that they are the same wax formulation, but it would be nice if they were. Testing new waxes is a pain. :rolleyes2

I'm Still having problems with this wax.... Over the weekend I made several more candles with the J300, regular pint jars. Had to top off each one.

I read several different supplier's "directions/heating" temperatures, as well as Astrolite's information. One place said to heat the wax to 200 degrees and pour at 180 degrees. Others said to heat to 190 degrees and pour at 150-160 degrees. I tried these and STILL had to top off. I am going to stick with what I know best: J223 :) Don't know what I am doing wrong!

And I noticed on a couple of the candles I poured, after they sat a few hours, 2 of them had a small tiny crack near the wick. ??

I'm Still having problems with this wax.... Over the weekend I made several more candles with the J300, regular pint jars. Had to top off each one.

I read several different supplier's "directions/heating" temperatures, as well as Astrolite's information. One place said to heat the wax to 200 degrees and pour at 180 degrees. Others said to heat to 190 degrees and pour at 150-160 degrees. I tried these and STILL had to top off. I am going to stick with what I know best: J223 :) Don't know what I am doing wrong!

And I noticed on a couple of the candles I poured, after they sat a few hours, 2 of them had a small tiny crack near the wick. ??

More than likely, your candles are cooling too quickly. I get cracks near the wick (and air pockets inside) if I cool on the counter during the winter months. Trying cooling slower - like in the oven or in a cardboard box, etc. That should help. For the ones you poured already, a heatgun will fix it. I just hate having to heatgun all of my candles, so I put them in the oven to cool. Works great. ;)

I had not thought of the "cooling" part. It is a bit cool in the kitchen (but then again, it's cool in the summer in the kitchen with the air conditioner cranked on)............. I will try the oven and see what happens. I had to chuckle when I attempted (yesterday) to try and use a heat gun (blow dryer in my case) to get rid of the slight sink-hole on the candles. What a mess!! I made more of a mess than I ever imagined. I kept hoping that no one in the family was watching me in there :)

I have been making candles for a few years and I have never had problems before. That's what I get for trying something different. I'll stick with my J223 (but I have a load of J300 to go through first). :grin2: