My friend who is

my tester says my candle is burning up to fast.It is a 10 oz apot with 2 44/28/18 zinc,and j50 wax.It is between 3 1/2 to 4 in wide.She suggested to use one wick,which I had already tried and couldn't get good results.thought about using a cotton core wick. :confused: Please help

Thanks,Anna

Anna, you should get her to test the burn rate for you if she can. Weigh the unlit candle and write it down. Burn for one hour, blow it out. When cool, weigh it again. The difference will be the amount burned per hour. Mine are usually .1 to .2 ounces per hour. For example, if I had a 16 oz pillar that burned .2 ounces per hour. 16 divided by .2 = 80; the candle should burn for 80 hours.

e

I agree about testing to find your burn rate. I have a spreadsheet that does the math for you, if you want it. Just e-mail me. As far as the jar, I couldn't get a great burn with that jar either when single wicking J50. I finally gave up and used the rest for wickless candles because I didn't want to double wick it. I have also had a few friends test my candles and one always tells me something like "That square mason burned completely in 20 hours" I think she just doesn't keep good track of the time because the ones I burned from that same batch lasted much longer. She isn't being malicious, I think she just doesn't pay enough attention sometimes. So I guess you might want to do your own wick/burn rate test and take your friend's advice with a grain of salt.

Thanks,e you are always helpful.I will try the burn rate,Iwon't let her test anymore.She told me she blew one wick out,and was burning only one wick,OMG.I told her she couldn't do that,the candle wouldn't get a full melt pool.I will test them myself.

debsent,I tried the 60 zinc,it didn't work.Thanks

Angela,that's what I will probley do with the jars(I have quiet a few)use them for wickless candles,but first I am going to do a burn rate test.

They do burn good with the 44's,but how long should 12 ozs of wax last?The 10oz apot holds 12 ozs of wax.

Anna, we're back to the burn rate. Can't answer that question without knowing it. Once you test, you'll know the answer. Is the 12 oz that you refer to solid weight or liquid volume? You need the weight, not the volume.

I'll assume you meant the weight. Let's say the burn rate was .1 ounce per hour. 12 divided by .1 = 120, the candle would burn for 120 hours. At a burn rate of .2, the candle would burn for 60 hours and so on.

I personally would find the phrase "your candle is burning too fast" too vague coming from a layperson. Too fast as compared to what? This is something you need to tackle yourself. If your burn rate is far exceeding the norms, you know you must wick down.

Sometimes I'll make the same candle and wick it differently, test burning side by side to see if there are marked differences. I've even tried 4 different combos at a time this way, all clearly labeled, burning under the same conditions.

e

Hey Anna, that's OK. We all get confused. :confused: Testing is such an important part of the process that I truly don't believe it's something you can delegate to a friend. There are so many factors and we know (as with the one wick) that they just don't listen. A fellow chandler is a different matter.

My opinions have changed so much over the years! I would never sell a candle like some of those I used to buy; back then, I thought they were just fine. As chandlers, we do, and should expect a superior burn. In your instance, you might want to work it backwards. If there is a large company that uses that jar and post their burns hours for that jar, you can calculate the rate and strive for that number.

Happy testing! :)

e

e,My DH ask me the other day wasnt I tired of this hobby yet.I have had so many hobbies,and tire of them very quickly.I told him no I was going to make and test candles until I had the perfect candle to sell to the public.This is a addiction(worse than cigarettes).

Anna

Anna, I've never tired of this one because I've always loved candles. Just for kicks, buy some cheap ones and burn them. You will have a new goal; to exceed the crap that is put on the market. :)

e

e,My DH ask me the other day wasnt I tired of this hobby yet.I have had so many hobbies,and tire of them very quickly.I told him no I was going to make and test candles until I had the perfect candle to sell to the public.This is a addiction(worse than cigarettes).

Anna