new wick concept

chiptooth

Ran into a local chain grocery store last night and my husband happened to stop by the candle display because the type of jar caught his attention. They were a very thick glass almost hour glass shaped with a wooden lid. They were called wood wix or something like that. The wick was a piece of wood...not a skinny stick like piece of wood but rather about 1/4" maybe even 1/2" inch wide. The containers showed many wet spots. There was a nice 3D sort of label on the outside front but I couldn't find an address on the warning label on the bottom or on the label under the lid. The promo for the candles was that as the wood burns it has a crakling sound like a fireplace. They had many fragrances but the name of the fragrance was on the warning label and hard to find. I sure would like to buy one to burn out of curiosity sake and then of course, if it burns well and smells good, I'm gonna have to figure out what kind of wood the wick is...Any ideas, Anyone?

I have one of these..... My MIL bought it for me as a christmas gift so I could learn to make them... You trim the wooden wick just as you would a normal wick... I actually use an old spoon and kind of scrap off the burnt wood . It actually smells decent when burning and is a soft container wax.. Not a hard wax like yankme .. Mine is burnt probably 3/4 of the way and the only soot problems I had were my own fault...LOL

Yes, these are the candles from the Old Virginia Candle company. I purchased three of the large ones to test.I posted my results on a couple of threads. The crackling sound is more like a gas jet turned up high than a fireplace crackling, and regardless of how much of the "wick" I trimmed, they turned the glasses BLACK with soot. The hot throw was nothing to write home about. I did like the idea/concept of the "wick" and I liked the container but was very disappointed with the performance of these candles.

Good for them that they landed an account in a major chain, but in my opinion, these candles are a one time purchase item. I can't imagine anyone buying another one after trying them. I will say that I only tried the large ones and have no idea how the smaller ones perform.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a WoodWick candle out of curiosity. I found the scent throw incredible!

My hubby loves the sound but it doesn't do a thing for me.

When I bought it, the wick looked centered but after it burned down a couple inches the wick was off to the side and could not be straightened. This does cause some soot residue on that side of the container.