new here and need some help

hi everyone.

i am new this this site and also new to candle making.

being a stay at home mom was fun for a while but now i need something to keep me busy (not just chasing my little guy lol)

i have most of the supplies needed to make soy candles (still waiting on some to be shipped to me)

i've made a few candles just to get used to what i am doing and what i should be doing but i'm stuck.

i have been testing out of candles using jars that you would by jelly in from the stores, they look great and smell great until they dry.

the middle of the candle around the wick caves in.

i bought the wicks from jo ann fabrics, i am pretty sure i bought the biggest wick they had.

whats going on?

thanks for any advice you all can give.:cheesy2:

When you say "caves in", does that mean that the wax melts and burns straight down the wick, without reaching the sides of the jar? If so, that's what's commonly known as "tunneling" and is caused by too large a wick. If you are looking to make candles consistently and with frequency, I highly suggest ordering wicks online. It's not only cheaper, it's also easier to find the perfect size for your jar. You will find that most people have favorite suppliers, but for wicks, you can buy from any of the larger companies, and be sure that you'll be getting a good one.

Are you meaning that after you've poured them but before you've burned them they sort of sink down in the middle around the wick? If that's what you mean you probably need to pour the candle, poke a couple small holes on either side of the wick once it's set up and then when it's still warmish pour one more small amount to fill up the holes and give you a hopefully smooth level top.

i bought the wicks from jo ann fabrics, i am pretty sure i bought the biggest wick they had.

If you bought the biggest wick on the self then you have certainly overwicked the jar. The back of the wick package will tell you what size that particular wick is recommended for.