pouring temp. & fo

Does pouring temp. have anything to do with burning scent throw? I tested using 1lb.100% soy wax and 1oz. Mid Summers Night fo, melted wax to 170, added fo at 120, and poured at 110 medium zinc core wick. Not much of a scent throw when burned. Then I melted 1 lb. soy wax to 170,added 1oz.fo at 110, poured at 95-100, and small cotton core wicks. now i can smell my ccandles burning! Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

I heard that if you add fo at a higher temp. that it will burn off the scent. So, thats why I add fo at 110.

Same here, thats why I add mine at a lower temp. I also make pure white candles (no dye) and heating the wax past 150 give the wax a yellow tint.

Do you use ezsoy and if so, do you get any frosting with the way you do yours? Thanks

EL Mil Blend, no frosting at all. The lower (temp) I pour the better the tops are. I just have little patients sitting there waiting for 4-5 lbs of wax to cool. Last night it took at least 45 mins for 4lbs of wax to cool. I need to heat to about 130-135.

Does pouring temp. have anything to do with burning scent throw? I tested using 1lb.100% soy wax and 1oz. Mid Summers Night fo, melted wax to 170, added fo at 120, and poured at 110 medium zinc core wick. Not much of a scent throw when burned. Then I melted 1 lb. soy wax to 170,added 1oz.fo at 110, poured at 95-100, and small cotton core wicks. now i can smell my ccandles burning! Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

Just read your post again, looks like you just had the wrong wick. Cotton works best with soy. I use two HTP 104's for my jars, full melt pool less than 1/2" deep

In regards to adding your FO at low temps, I've found/tested that adding at a higher temp produce better results. Here's some reading from the old board-

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1110236703

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1103249348

In regards to adding your FO at low temps, I've found/tested that adding at a higher temp produce better results. Here's some reading from the old board-

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1110236703

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1103249348[/quote]

I remember these post. Question: Im afraid to pour at 170, b/c I can't sit there and stir constantley for 45 minutes while the wax cools.

I don't think you have to stir for that long. I don't. I just stir 4 minutes.

OK this sounds crazy, but I dont want the FO to seperate from the wax. I guess I can give it a good stir when added let sit (45 mins) to pouring temp, then stir again right before I pour.

Your not mixing water and oil together, your mixing an oil (wax) with another oil (FO) together. I stir them together when I first add the FO and again before I pour (I pour hot).

I know I know I know, I have just had soooo many BAD testings, I finally found something that works and wanna stick to it. I guess I can give on the mixing.

I heard that if you add fo at a higher temp. that it will burn off the scent. So, thats why I add fo at 110.

If your using the Mill. soy, you add f/o at 160 deg. mix the f/o for a bit, but not for 4 min. and pour at 130 for smooth tops. Let cure for 24 hours and you'll still get a great hot throw. :) Go to their website at: http://www.enchanted-lites.com/Start_making_candles.htm You can also by a Modifier from them to prohibit the frosting.

If your using the Mill. soy, you add f/o at 160 deg. mix the f/o for a bit, but not for 4 min. and pour at 130 for smooth tops. Let cure for 24 hours and you'll still get a great hot throw. :) Go to their website at: http://www.enchanted-lites.com/Start_making_candles.htm You can also by a Modifier from them to prohibit the frosting.

I poured a candle this morning at about 125-130, it was the UGLIEST candle I ever made in my life. I think I will stick to pouring at 100-105. Im sure when I burn it the throw will be outta this world, but when you make soooo many at a time you just dont have time to go back and hit them all with a heat gun.

i am a firm believer of adding fo no lower than 170* to make sure the fo fully incorporates into the wax. so i heat to 170-175* add fo @ 170*,let cool to 100* and pour.

i did a side by side test burn comparison with ez-soy. one with fo added @ 120* and one with fo added @ 170*. the hot throw was stronger from the one poured @170*. pouring @100* gives the smoothest tops.

while the manufacturer recommends their own temps. you will get positive reviews from peeps that do it either way...i think it's whatever works for you, but i recommend the higher temp.lol!

i am a firm believer of adding fo no lower than 170* to make sure the fo fully incorporates into the wax. so i heat to 170-175* add fo @ 170*,let cool to 100* and pour.

i did a side by side test burn comparison with ez-soy. one with fo added @ 120* and one with fo added @ 170*. the hot throw was stronger from the one poured @170*. pouring @100* gives the smoothest tops.

while the manufacturer recommends their own temps. you will get positive reviews from peeps that do it either way...i think it's whatever works for you, but i recommend the higher temp.lol!

I have to agree, I have been adding FO at 120-125 and have had no complaints. Im testing the other methond to see if there is a noticable difference.