My greenleaf burn report

Got my wax yesterday, poured last night and test burned about 12 hours later, just couldn't wait. I pretty much followed the directions except for the melting temp, I think it got up to 200 degrees. I have a thermometer with an alarm which I set for 178, but the probe got caught on the handle and was just in the wax a tiny bit, so when the alarm went off and I put the probe in all the way it read 200. I really don't think it did any harm. I used 1.2 oz of Peaks French Vanilla pp and 1 ivory chip for color. I used a jelly jar, a 8 oz metro jar, a jar that goes to a holder I got at Christmas,(just a straight sided jar like the metro but different diameter), and the frosted 12 oz metro jar. They all had the 51 c wick except the 12 oz metro jar which had a LX 24 in it. Left to right is 12 oz metro (3"), jelly jar (2 3/8"), 8 oz metro (2 1/2"), and my other jar (2 5/8"). This was after a 3 1/2 hour burn. They all had a huge mushroom, which I'm not used to, would like to find a wick that doesn't mushroom, is that possible? I trimmed them when they were cool and have them going again. Will try to post more pictures after another 3 hour burn.

The throw is great, but with 4 candles going you would expect that. I will burn tomorrow with them in different rooms to see how the throw is. Nice smooth top before and after the burn. I'm new to soy.....those that use soy, do you always have large mushrooms on your wicks no matter what type of wick you use?

post-377-139458393846_thumb.jpg

Looks like a good burn. I've only experimented with EZ Soy from BCN. I used the wicks they recommended at the time (it's only been about 4 yrs ago...so I don't remember).

I made several candles and was pleased with scent, I remember doing Pina Colada, and although it's not a LOUD scent, it did o.k. I just remember not liking the way it burned. It left like a frothy foam on some of the side, not all the way, but didn't burn as good as these look. I may not have used a large enough wick.

I'm used to mushrooms with my wicks (zinc core), and it doesn't bother me, or customers, just trimmed as needed.

Gerrie, these look really nice!

Steph in tx

Thanks Steph, I do think they look nice. I really like the creamy smooth look to this blend, but I've been using paraffin for 6 years, and this is very different for me. My customers are used to not having to worry about a mushroom or trimming the wicks, that's what worries me. They may not be willing to make a change.

Jen, that 12 oz frosted metro jar if very decieving. The melt pool was actually not even 1/4" deep, and it had some hang up on it. There wasn't so much that I was worried about it, thinking it may catch up on more burns.

Below is a picture of the burn I did tonight, it was for 4 hours. As you can see they all have a hang up except for the jelly jar, but it's the only one with some soot on the side, very small amount, but worried it could get worse as the burn gets towards the bottom of the jar. Will do another 5-6 hours tomorrow and see how it goes. Mushrooms weren't quite as big on this second burn, but they are still there. I don't feel the need to yank out these wicks to test others, think I need to see where these are going to go when they get to the bottom of the jar. I'll keep posting till the wax is gone.

post-377-139458393851_thumb.jpg

post-377-139458393853_thumb.jpg

post-377-139458393854_thumb.jpg

Isn't it funny how everyone's experiences are different? I haven't had any mushrooms on my LX wicks, except for very tiny ones which fall off during burning. I know Brenda's favorite wicks for this wax are ECO's, so you may want to consider those.

Yep - Cotton cored wicks are one of my least favorite strictly from the mushroom perspective. They are a good general wick because they will burn through almost anything :) The self trimming series, like the ECO, CD, HTP tend to be where I lean but it's because of my own personal testing over several years in the natural based waxes. Everyone usually has their favorite. Thanks Gerrie for posting these. Keep us updated.

Thanks