This isn't input! I was just wondering what those numbers mean on

hardness 22

cleansing 8

condition 75

bubbly 8

creamy 14

iodine 83

ins 108

Does that mean it's so-so hard, not really cleansing, but great conditioning bar with little bubbles. However it's more of a creamy soap that's high in iodine (or what does iodine do?) and I've no clue what ins means.

Not trying to take your thread a different direction. Just am curious about those numbers and understanding them.

It is from The lye caculator..Not sure of what everything means yet...still learning that!!! LOL!!!!!!

I know they mean hardness how much lather ect...Not sure what the staple #'s should be for The "perfect bar" yet!

LOL

sooo Much to learn! hopefully some more pro's will come and play with us..and Teach us a bunch more...I have piced up bits and pieces..on the lye caculator section in the soapmaking section..but still not in full understanding!!! LOL....:P

This isn't input! I was just wondering what those numbers mean on

hardness 22

cleansing 8

condition 75

bubbly 8

creamy 14

iodine 83

ins 108

Does that mean it's so-so hard, not really cleansing, but great conditioning bar with little bubbles. However it's more of a creamy soap that's high in iodine (or what does iodine do?) and I've no clue what ins means.

Not trying to take your thread a different direction. Just am curious about those numbers and understanding them.

OK, go to the Sooz (soapcalc) calculator and click on Soap Qualities at the top. It explains a little bit about each one.

http://www.soapcalc.com/soapqualities.asp

It is from The lye caculator..Not sure of what everything means yet...still learning that!!! LOL!!!!!!

No I knew that, which is why I wasn't meaning to take away from your thread or recipe input. I was just really really curious!

Thanks Carrie for the reading material :)

You know..it's funny..back when I was soaping, I never even knew of the soap calc (or maybe it didn't exist then). I just used the oils I felt like using and used MMS lye calc....and now that I know about the sooz, I find myself playing around with the numbers...and I haven't even soaped anything since finding out about it...but can't wait to do so, so I can see how it goes.:)

That iodine number is about the only one I pay attention to anymore. I like it to be below 80. Otherwise you have a mushy bar. I HATE that! lol.

Actually, I also pay attention to the linoleic number, as well. But I know what oils have a high amount of that, so I guess I've kinda internalized that, too.

You know..it's funny..back when I was soaping, I never even knew of the soap calc (or maybe it didn't exist then). I just used the oils I felt like using and used MMS lye calc....and now that I know about the sooz, I find myself playing around with the numbers...and I haven't even soaped anything since finding out about it...but can't wait to do so, so I can see how it goes.:)

aww what are ya waiting for!! Soap away girly!!LOL

That iodine number is about the only one I pay attention to anymore. I like it to be below 80. Otherwise you have a mushy bar. I HATE that! lol.

Actually, I also pay attention to the linoleic number, as well. But I know what oils have a high amount of that, so I guess I've kinda internalized that, too.

linoleic number....whats that mean??????

linoleic

\Li*no"le*ic\ (l[i^]*n[=o]"l[-e]*[i^]k), a. Pertaining to, or derived from, linoleum, or linseed oil; specifically (Chem.), designating an organic acid, a thin yellow oil, found combined as a salt of glycerin in oils of linseed, poppy, hemp, and certain nuts.

Found some more for you, this should make it a bit clearer. This is from http://www.soapnaturally.org/oilproperties.html

Look at the "Iodine Value" for each oil. This number is actually a test result, indicating the degree of saturation of an oil. The lower the number, the more saturated the oil is. The more saturated it is, the harder it is in soap. Oils with high numbers will be soft in soap, the higher the number, the softer they will be.

Just a little more detail, .... Oils are made up mainly of a variety of fatty acids. (Mostly chains of 12 to 18 carbon atoms with assorted attachments.) Some fatty acids are saturated (carbon atoms along the chain are holding all the hydrogen atoms they possibly can), these contribute hardness or lather when they are saponified. Some fatty acids are unsaturated (have 1 or more bonds where carbons are holding 2 hands instead of extra hydrogens), these contribute conditioning and softness. The main conditioning fatty acids are oleic, (1 unsaturated bond), linoleic (2 unsaturated bonds) and linolenic (3 unsaturated bonds). The more unsaturated bonds, the better the conditioning, and the more easily it is absorbed by the skin, but the softer the oil is in soap, and the more prone to oxidation.

Because each oil is a unique combination of these fatty acids, the properties and hardness of each will vary. Making soap means choosing a combination of oils with different degrees of hard/soft, conditioning, and lather, to get the particular product that fits you best.

Each skin seems to "feel" oils differently, so opinions vary....and experimenting yourself is really the most accurate indicator of how oils will feel to you. Here is my 2 cents worth on the oils I prefer to use:

Properties of Oils:

• Bees Wax: inhibits lather at higher amounts, I like about 3% when I use it (not often), may prevent ash problems,.... if its the natural, unrefined wax, it seems to give soap more of a "honey" scent then honey does....
  • Castor Oil: promotes lather, and conditioning, gives a thick, small bubble creamy lather, as opposed to coconut and PK's thinner "big bubble" lather, "soft" oil
  • Cocoa Butter: I don't find cocoa butter drying, but its also not conditioning for me, although some skins think it is.... its fatty acid profile is very similar to tallow, and to me, that is what it feels like in soap... its mild, makes hard soap, but doesn't help noticeably with conditioning... when I use it in soap, I sub it for one of the hard oils, tallow/lard/palm, and I use it because of the scent...at 15% it leaves a light cocoa scent that enhances fo's like raspberry,....
  • Coconut Oil: hard bar, big bubble lather.... needs to be properly balanced by conditioning oils because it does such a good job of cleaning that it can feel drying. .... when used with "filler oils" .... oils that are only moderate in conditioning, I keep it at a max of 20-25% with my usual superfat level (6%) , OR use it higher and boost the superfat level by about 2% over my usual... when used with only "high conditioning" oils, like my basic olive, coconut, sunflower, castor, I use it up to about 32-36% with 6-7% superfatting.
  • JoJoba Oil: is really a wax,... and very like the skins natural sebum, ,... because of its stability (its mostly waxes and unsaponifiables, with only 12% fatty acids), it can be used as a superfatting oil added at the end of HP or in rebatch with no problems...and even a very small amount 1-2% will give a very noticeable difference in feel
  • Olive Oil: mild, small bubbles, by itself it will make quite a hard bar, but it doesn't have enough "hardening ability" to balance softer oils.
  • Palm Oil: I don't use much because of its high cost here... there are oils that harden better, and oils that condition better,... for me it is an expensive filler oil.
  • Shea Butter: I like shea in lotions, but not soap... for me it needs to be treated like cocoa butter in soap.
  • Tallow: hard bar, small thin lather.... my preference to replace palm in recipes
  • Sunflower, Safflower, Grapeseed, Hemp, - I like a bit of a high linoleic oil in all my soaps, 10-15% of one of these in every soap. In soaps, these oils feel much better on my skin then even shea or emu. If the level is kept in this range, I don't have a problem with spoiling,... although the hotter and more humid your climate, the more apt you are to have a problem with polyunsaturated oils.