Question about lye...

smiley_miley

Hello, I had a question that I hope maybe the experienced soapers can help me with...

I am not making soap yet, but I have been doing some reading about ingredients and reading tutorials etc. so I can learn how.

In my research, I have come across some differences in opinion, and I am not sure what to think.

I found a place that sells handmade soap, I believe it is MP, and they advertise it as lye free. But I have read somewhere else that soap made with lye is actually more mild on skin, and better for you. I also read that the SLS in some MP soap can cause skin problems, and that is what their soap is made with. Which is the truth with this? They are advertising as if lye is harmful in soap or something.

I wanted to start making soap, but I wanted to stay as natural as I could, which would be with using the lye....but how do you get around people who say lye soap is bad? Can someone point me in the right direction?

A lot of folks, especially the older ones, have used lye soap made by their grandparents before. These lye soaps can be harsh because back then they did not have such accurate scales nor did they necessarily have accurate recipes. So when you say lye soap they may think back of those days. Usually once I explain how my modern method is different, they realize this is not the harsh soap they were thinking of from their grandparents time.

A lot of folks, especially the older ones, have used lye soap made by their grandparents before. These lye soaps can be harsh because back then they did not have such accurate scales nor did they necessarily have accurate recipes. So when you say lye soap they may think back of those days. Usually once I explain how my modern method is different, they realize this is not the harsh soap they were thinking of from their grandparents time.

Exactly!! I used to help my grandmother make soap. No scales were used. She saved used grease (lard) until she figured she had enough, used 1 jar of red devil lye and made soap!