having trouble with colors for scents

Mr. G

I do what Cranberry Girl does, but I end up sniffing an awful lot for most of it. If I have to, I'll occasionally ask what color to make such and such lol. For awhile I was seeking out the meaning of colors and then seeing how I could apply them to certain scents. Ended up googling a lot of good sites that have helped. And that's how I learned blue is the color of love lol!

I, too, smell the FO then my mind usually tells me what color it should be. Taught my best friend to make candles and she does the same thing.

Being the "unworldly" person that I am, I didn't know for a long time that Sex on the Beach was a mixed drink. The FO smelled dark seafoam green to me, my customers won't buy Sex on the Beach in any other color :rolleyes2

Melva in KY

I have always just made my candles any color I wanted to. Fortunately,( or not..depends on how you look at it) I have never had to worry about exact duplication of a color, which I assume is very important to those of you that have businesses and repeat clients for their favorites.

I had always colored my Osmanthas candles blue......I was reading about the flowering plant only to discover that they are white. Hum...go figure. Some scents are obvious to me. Ocean fruit and wood scents....even bakery scents for the most part. Some you can just be creative with IMHO

I've had friends ask for candles of a certain FO but don't want the traditional colors but want them to match their decor...some prefer light color candles, others dark colors. On special orders, I always ask if they have a color preference. If they say no, then I have artistic freedom.