Wicking for a 4 oz tin

Hi everyone,

I am going to pour sage leaf FO from Lone Star Candle CO. with soy 125 wax from Candlewic. Any suggestions on size of wick I could use. I just received from Lone Star their master wick kit so I should have a wick that should work.

Thank you for your help,

Janet

Sorry, I am so new to message boards and candles.

I forgot to give measurement of tin.

1 5/8" ht X 2 1/4" dia

Is there a formula I could use in the future to figure out what wick to use?

Again thanks for your help and patience!!!

Janet

ARRGGHH!! Eco 12 maybe? Close? Starting to feel like a Masochist..I keep changing my containers.
I have only tested the second (discontinued) version of CBA, but I think the stardard version melts quite easily also. So if you're not adding anything to the wax I would think an ECO 10 could easily do a 3 inch tin. It might even be too much at the bottom when things start getting hot.

Of course we all see variations in our results so you have to see what works for you. I'm also not sure if you're using exactly the same CBA I tried. It just struck me that ECO 14 seemed kind of out of whack.

It can get a little tedious to try one wick at a time. I would suggest maybe invest some wax and try 8/10/12 side by side so you can get a better overview of the wicking possibilities. Sometimes there's more than one right answer depending on what you prefer. Use them all up because you will see a HUGE difference in how a tin burns at the top versus the bottom.

Hi everyone,

Well, I poured my 4 oz tins today and they look wonderful. Now on Monday I test burn them and see what happens!!!! Tops are so smooth. Not like the jars I have been doing.

Top, I used a ECO2 as you suggested in one. Then I used a ECO4 and RRD34 in the other two.

I also have been working on frosted blub jars since August. 3.5 oz 5 oz and 16 oz I probably picked the hardest jars in the world just starting out but I loved the looks of them. Of course, I didn't know my head from a whole in the ground,:P just bought everything and started pouring. I have never gotten the wick quite right. So I tired pouring them again with different size wicks today, also. They are all being discontinued from Candlewic but I have lots so I want to get them right. No large ones, just 3.5 oz and 5 oz.

I have learned so much from all of you that maybe I just might make it someday!!!!!

And the info I am getting on the 8 oz tin is great with this thread, thank you!!!!

Janet

OK OK OK!!! I tested my 4 oz tins. ECO2 and ECO4 was a no for sure. The RRD34 was pretty good but didn't clean the sides of tin. So I am going to repour tins today and wick up. My question is, I was thinking of adding some BW to my repour. The soy 125 that I am using is very soft and was thinking BW would give it some substance. Don't know if I am right or wrong. Remember I am a newbie!!:P What I do know is that I will use this wax for my tins and I have ordered CB135 from CS to try on my buld jars. This is based on what I have read in this thread (thank you once again) it might make my jars do better. So back to my question:undecided I have 22.8 ozs of wax to repour. What would be an amount of BW to use? I read yesterday on this thread that .3 oz per lb of soy wax is a good ratio. So I was just thinking I would add .3 oz to 22.8 ozs I have and see how it works. Good or bad thing to do!!! Any suggestions.

My orginial amount of wax was 30.21 oz of soy 125 and 1.59 FO.

Thanks TOP! I have used a CD12 and CD14 and LX26. I know what you are thinking...too big... but its working out good for me. Burning faster than I would like I think. I will however try going lower to see what happens. Cause..you know how it is...YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS RIGHT! he he

Janet when I added Bw to my mixture I had to up the wicks. I don't know if you will have to. With these tins you really do have to wait till the bottom of the can to know your results.

OK OK OK!!! I tested my 4 oz tins. ECO2 and ECO4 was a no for sure. The RRD34 was pretty good but didn't clean the sides of tin. So I am going to repour tins today and wick up.
Just curious, what is the diameter of your tin? That is supposed to be a really small container. I know each wax burns differently but I feel maybe something isn't adding up.

Hi everyone

This week I poured my first candles. :yay:(I have to say they came out great).

4 oz tins from Peaks 2 1/2 in diameter by almost 1 3/4 in tall

CB 135

peak cucumber melon

lx 14 wick

Heated to 150 =/- 5 degrees

added fo at 125

poured at 100

They burn great but I'm going to wick up, there is a film of wax on sides and it takes closer to 3 hours than 2 1/2 to reach full melt pool. Should the lx 16 wicks solve these problems?

Thanks, Sami (newbie)

Hi Top,

The diameter of my tin is 2 1/4", 1 3/4 " high, with clear tops. From SKS

I use soy 125 that is a blend of soybeans and soybean oil.

ratio: 30.21 oz wax, 1.59 oz of FO, and 8 drops of liq dye

I heated wax to 180 deg. MI (manufactuers instructions)

Added FO at 175

Added dye at 170

Poured at 150, MI

Cured for 3 days

I did 3 tins and 6 jars.

Wicked the tins with ECO2 that you suggested, I chose ECO4 and RRD34 for the other two tins. The ECO's never made it anywhere to the sides. ECO4 got almost there but wasn't clean.

But to be honest I didn't burn any of them to the bottom. Soya today told me to make sure I do that. So this this weekend I will.

In all the months I have used this wax I have only had it work only with a

16 oz bulb jar when I doubled wicked it. All the rest of the time I have been trying to get it right.

So I have ordered CB135 soy from CB and I think that will work much better in my jars and I will use the soy 125 from Candlewic on my tins until it is gone.

I am rambling, sorry!!!

Top, I would appreicate what you have to say. It is hard being so new and trying to get it right.

My re-poured tins today with BW looks good. I will see how they burn this weekend.

Xsami300x congradulations on your tins!!!! I hope to be able to say that soon.

Hi Janet,

I don't argue with practical results. Trying stuff to see what works is the way it's done. I was just a little surprised because the 4 oz tins are so small and an ECO 4 is a respectably sized wick. Just be careful that your tops are consistently flat and the wicks trimmed uniformly because those little things can make a world of difference in testing.

Using CB-135 I find an ECO 2 does a 4 oz tin easily. In fact I get a full melt pool on the fast side. Maybe you'll find that wax easier to work with.

I have some Soy 125 here, but the aesthetic results were a little gruesome when I tried pouring it so I put it aside. Never even got to wicking the stuff. Did you get decent looking tops with it?

I don't argue with practical results.

OH MY, Top, this didn't even enter my mind!!!! :embarasse I was just trying to give you all the info so you would have a better understanding of what I had done.

The tops on the tins were the best I had ever seen. I was surprised when I saw them!!!! The jars have never been smooth at all. When I pour on the cool side it was flake like, do you know what I mean. When pouring on the hotter side, I don't know the right word, tiny swiss cheese holes. LOL Hope you know what that is!!!

I saw your purple candle on the CBA and CB135 mixing results thread. Thought it looked great. I love purple and someday I hope the tops on my jars look that good.

Thanks again for all your help. And I will strive for flat tops and wicks trimmed uniformly. Slowly but surely I am learning from everyone on Candletech.