Help Please No Scent??

Hi,

I am using soy wax and oils from MillCreek. I'm very new and have a few questions.

1. I mixed 1oz cool cucumber & melon with 1lb. soy wax. Added the FO at 185 degrees and poured into small glass containers at approx 160 degrees. Once cooled, I stored with the lids on for about a week and lit one today. They barely smell at all? What did I do wrong?

2. I just got Butter Cream and Sweet Pea and Me (MillCreek) in today and want to make more container candles but I'm scared these won't smell when burned either?:embarasse I want to produce the strongest scents possible with these two lit or not.

3. Last one I promise! ;) I had a Yank candle given to me for Christmas which is what started all this and I REALLY REALLY want to find out the recipe for there "Christmas Cookie" It smelled great but with tons of wasted wax and the prices are ridiculous for all the waste!!

Thank You!!! Mendy

I have a hard time getting cucumber melon to throw in soy, same thing with sweat pea. IMO they are both lighter scents. You may want to start out with a fo that is known to be strong in soy. LOL.

Thank YOu! What would throw well in Soy that's not a floral scent. I really love bakery scents (probably because I'm on a diet):grin2: I want something really strong that men would like and something really strong for women.

i use 1.5oz pp of cucumber melon, sweet pea and buttercream they are all strong scents in my 100% soy. what container, wick, are you using.

all of these scent have a wonderful strong throw. got me puzzled.

Carol lol now I'm really going to look silly. I don't know what wicks exactly. I bought them off Ebay but they did burn nice and evenly all the way to the jars perimeter. I am using 3.5oz amber straight round glass containers with black lids. (I had a bunch of them in the attic)

So tonight I'll make the sweet pea and use 1.5oz pp and hope for the best!!!:smiley2:

Usually if a scent dosent work, I up it to 1.4oz pp and that will do it, as soy sometimes needs a stronger mount. Also make sure you take notes and especially on the wicks its important to know what kind it is so you can recreate the same effect again and not have to retest (keep a journal on everything, youll thank your self in the long run) It may be the wick I have some fo's that even tho the melt pool is complete the wick is wrong and I get it to throw super buy changing the wick type.hth

Usually if a scent dosent work, I up it to 1.4oz pp and that will do it, as soy sometimes needs a stronger mount. Also make sure you take notes and especially on the wicks its important to know what kind it is so you can recreate the same effect again and not have to retest (keep a journal on everything, youll thank your self in the long run) It may be the wick I have some fo's that even tho the melt pool is complete the wick is wrong and I get it to throw super buy changing the wick type.hth

Thank You Marisa,

What size wicks would I need for a round straight glass 3.5oz container- cylinder-2"D x 2.5"H ? Here is my first try of the night using sweet pea. Can't really tell much. All I had was green coloring so I used just a tiny bit of it. I am hoping it will throw more than my other tries!:rolleyes2

dscf00041ht.jpg

Is there a chart I could use somewhere showing me the correct diameter wicks? Do I need to let them sit for a few days before lighting them?

Thank you all for the help! I'm really having fun!!

i have tried a varity of wicks and mostley use cd 12-16's on my soy jars depending on how strong of a Fragrance. With those jars it looks as the opening is a bit smaller than the middle , thus it will create more heat in the jar so you may be able to go with w smaller wick like a cd-10-12 if its the diamater im thinking of from the pics or even. 51c ) are good start with the lower wick and wick up as you need.You may want to get a sample pack or I could send you a few to test. pm me with your addy if you want to try a few. But again when you try a fragrance and awx. Write down , how much wax, fragrance and color you used and what size wick and track resultsm, that way you know if it burnt to hot , just right or needs a bigger wick, also put where you got fo.Those are erally cute and your top of the waxlooks creamy for soy, so you did a great job for starting out:) try this it has info on the cottens..

http://www.kycandlewaxsupply.com/wick.htm

I've found that CM is a lighter FO as well. I would put the cap back on (trim the wick so you don't have that burnt smell) and hide it away for a month then try it. I say this because when I was testing that scent I couldn't smell it, gave it to testers and when I got it back a month later it was stronger.

Sweet Pea was OK, but Buttercreme will knock your socks off. I remember testing in my son's room (10 x 11 w/ a vaulted ceiling) and I could smell it for almost a week later when I'd first walk into his room.

Not to preach BUT you should always know your wick size and match it the the radius of your jar, MC has wick suggestions on their site http://www.mcsoywax.com/wicks.htm. I think I would contact the person you bought it from to see if they know the size of the wick-that's important! Too hot a jar can lead to trouble so can using more than 1oz of FO in 1 lb. You can create a fireball due to overloading the wax w/ FO. Its been figured out already that 1 lb of soy can safety hold 1oz of FO. I knew of one chandler who if she couldn't get a throw would decrease YES DECREASE the amount of FO to 7.5 or 8% and that helped her (mainly w/ the heavier FOs like vanilla, cinnamon, etc). Also adding 2 to 3% beeswax will help your throw. You will find that some FO's are lighter than others and that they need a 2 to 3 week curing time (not all FO's and I know some will beg to differ. This has just been my experience). You may find that another supplier sells a strong CM than MillCreek. Don't be discouraged even though you'll come to road blocks at times - posting will help!! I use (and luv) most of MC's FO's. :)

OH NO I see they added NEW FOs (my purse can't handle it - LOL)

Mendy,

I use a 50/50 blend, and CD wicks, and I REALLY love MillCreek's Sweet Pea, it's the best I've tried, however, I personally couldn't get much throw from their Cool Cuke Melon either, I switched to Just Scent's, much stronger!

I also didn't care for MillCreeks Buttercream frosting, but then, I gave up trying to find a good one of that scent...

Good luck, we've all been there!!!!:cheesy2:

glad they finally got them on the site. i have had the apricot sorbet and lavender vanilla for 2wks. the apricot sorbet is just awesome strong cold/hot throws love it.

the lavender vanilla is great strong cold/hot throws.

just got the vanilla and strawberries have not had time to get into wax yet.

I didn't see apricot sorbet! Sounds YUMMY :drool: . Is it BS? I think its time for a sample pak. Does Kathy have any others to list soon (thinking I'll wait to take full advantage of the 10 I get- please give us the inside scoop :cool2:). Did she give you any idea when the board would be up and running?

I had a Yank candle given to me for Christmas which is what started all this and I REALLY REALLY want to find out the recipe for there "Christmas Cookie" It smelled great but with tons of wasted wax and the prices are ridiculous for all the waste!!

Thank You!!! Mendy

For that scent dupe you can find it here http://www.geocities.com/lwoollen_25/FragranceFinder/C2.html#ChristmasCookiesT

they have their 4 new ones listed on their site now, have not heard about any other new ones yet. i highly recommend the apricot sorbet and the lavender vanilla, not sure of the vanilla yet haven't had a chance to get it into wax yet. the strawberries & champagne well haven't put it into wax yet.

Forgot to add that we tested another of MC's newer scents, and it is wonderful, her High Cotton, we are re-naming it Sweet Cotton, it's fresh clean and slightly sweet, a bit fruity, but throws great!:smiley2:

Is it comparable at all to Clean Cotton (I think that's what MC calls it, the one that smells like laundry detergent?) TIA :)

maryann, are you thinking of clothesline fresh from mc.

YES, that's the name (I was to lazy to look for the correct name)

Sharon a few (including me) have problems w/ CF and Spiced Cranberry! I think at least in the wide mouth jj I conquered the Cranberry (LUV that FO) :drool: