Tealight inserts in pillars

For those of you that make pillars using the tealight inserts, what type of wax do you use for the pillar? I have tested 4045H, w/4761 chunks and when the tealight finishes burning it has melted the wax some and you can't hardly get the empty tealight out. I love the look of the 4045H, but it doesn't seem that the MP is high enough to use for this particular candle. Any suggestions? TIA Portia

might try using plastic tealights instead of the metal ones. They don't get as hot. Additionally, if you go with a hurricane wax like the 5055 or there is a 4045 which are I think hurricane waxes. Donita uses the 5055 or something like that. there are waxes out there like hurricane waxes that have a higher mp even than a pillar wax.

As far as additives that could raise the meltpoint someone else is gonna have to chime in there.

Just some ideas.

-Luke-

well then I'm out of suggestions...unless...does it burn down into the wax?

I make some candles that are sort of like this and you could get a sheet of glass from the craft store and cut a circle or just put some crushed glass into the bottom of the hole...

I imbed glass into a lot of my candles on the floor of them so the tealights wont burn down into the candle...sand also works well...but this might not be applicable on a very small scale.

Someone will chime in here soon that actually knows what they are talking about.

:P

Well, using hurricane wax didn't work either, the tealight still melted enough wax that you have to pry the cup out. I guess I'm gonna have to go with the cork insert idea. UGH,,,,,,,Portia
If you are buying from Candlewic they have a 5560 wax that is much higher MP than the 5055. Hopefully 160 is higher than the melt pool temp of a tealight. IGI 1260 is very high MP also.

it would probably be worth it to set a tealight on a hard surface and touch the tip of a glass thermometer to the side of it and just leave it there for 3 to five hours and record the temperature.

alternately a digital thermometer would help a lot.

This might give you an idea of how high your wax MP needs to be in the minimum.

When it doubt, start testing everything.

Why not just get the glass inserts to put your tea-light cup in, then the glass insert goes into the pillar, that way you can use the 4045H . They're kind of like the oyster cups, but a smaller and straighter, designed for this purpose. Can't remember where I've seen them but I've seen them.