Need Help

I am currently making some jar candles and aside from the testing of many different wicks as some of you suggested I have run into some interesting problems that I was hoping I could get some advice on.

I am making a small 5oz bean pot with lavender scent, I was using a C70 and it was going great unitl the bottom quarter of the jar where all the wax liquified and the wick fell over into the liquid wax. Is that normal? I am now trying to wick down one but my wax gets very liquid, it is the IGI wax. As well I find that when I look at the candle from the top it almost looks like brains in the jar there are alot of veins and I was also wondering if that was normal.

I'd appreciate any advice you guys might offer.

Thanks

I think there was a post about wicks going bad posted a last week or the week before. People were talking about how they use the wick stickums over hot glue because the hot glue can't tolerate the hot wax...it makes the glue melt causing the wick to slide or get ruined. Some have had luck with the high temp hot glue, but most swear by the wick stickums - I think BCN sells them. I haven't tried them yet...still trying to find time to test burn my candles down to the bottom without setting my house on fire from all the candles I have half burned!

I would not suggest that you change the wick size, just the way you stick the wick, if everything else is going well.

As for the veiny look - I get something like that from IGI's Harmony wax. I like it, though...it adds character.

Maybe I've read this wrong, but it seems like BMJ isn't referring to the wick tabs sliding, but a limp wick falling over and dousing itself. I've not used the cotton wicks much, but it sounds like you may need a stiffer wick like the zinc cores. I'm not familiar with a bean pot jar either :( Is it smaller at the bottom? If so, and you have a wick large enough for a full melt pool at the wider area, it may be too large for the bottom. From what I've seen, containers will liquefy when they get to the bottom. Just how deep the liquid wax is at that point may have to do with the wick size. If theres too much of the candle left when it completely liquid, that would account for it falling over. I'm not very experienced with containers, so hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in here!

I'm presently doing my 1st testing with the CC wicks. They are very close to the bottom and still standing up straight. (not containers) I really like them cause they are stiff and produce a very nice flame. BUT they do burn fairly hot and produce a wide & deep melt pool so w/the properties I'm experiencing, you may need to wick down. Also noticing that I have to trim the wicks more often than other types.