Candle Making with Wine Bottle Punts

EID

I am making wine bottle candles. Some of the bottles have a very deep punt which is causing a lot of space for wasted wax.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions, based on your experiences, with a product that can be used to fill the space other than wax? I have heard of some makers using sand or clay.

I would probably lean to an inexpensive wax, like palm. It is rigid and can help stabilize the wick tab if poured deeply enough. 

Sand could work but would soak a good bit of your wax as it is poured.

clay I’ve not heard of. I use stoneware ceramic clay in my pottery studio. This type contains a good bit of moisture. It molds even when Sealed in plastic bags so I wonder how well it would suit for a candle.  

On 1/11/2023 at 7:43 PM, TallTayl said:

I would probably lean to an inexpensive wax, like palm. It is rigid and can help stabilize the wick tab if poured deeply enough. 

Sand could work but would soak a good bit of your wax as it is poured.

clay I’ve not heard of. I use stoneware ceramic clay in my pottery studio. This type contains a good bit of moisture. It molds even when Sealed in plastic bags so I wonder how well it would suit for a candle.  

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I will do exactly that, use an inexpensive wax. Thanks again!

30 minutes ago, EID said:

Thank you so much for the advice, I think I will do exactly that, use an inexpensive wax. Thanks again!

Play around with waxes, some may be too easy to burn compared to what you’re starting with.  Palm, IME can be a pretty reliable one to slow and contain that last bit of burn depending on your choice of wick.  Good luck!