Beet root powder?

younggrasshper

I bought some beet root powder last week and have been thinking about soaping with it. I'm a chicken and don't want to ruin a whole batch! But I just found this on Camdengrey and thought I'd ask:

Beet Root (Beta vulgaris), powdered root, U.S. The beautiful red-purple color of beet root is a clear sign of the amazing plant pigments known as carotenoids. Beet root powder when used in soapmaking will produce colors ranging from deep yellow to kidney bean/red-brown color to deep pink/purple. As you can see, due to its many color ranges we suggest you first experiment. Beetroot powder can be used to create a deep pink to purple-colored oil with which you can tint skin care products naturally

So has anyone used this in soap? If I am to try should I use it just like any pigment and mix it with some soap first before adding it to all? Any tips are appreciated :)

post-2103-139458392308_thumb.jpg

I have some too that I was wondering about using to color stuff. I didn't know it would turn yellow though in cp. Actually the description says it can become yellow to purple. That is a really big color range. You wouldn't know what scent to put with it.

Maybe a rebatched soap or MP would be more predictable.

I tried to color lip balm with it, big failure:shocked2: . It seems to clump up if water is added to it. It sure is a pretty color on its own. If you find a way to use it please let me know. Mine is just sitting there collecting dust.

Whenever I use natural pigments I always mix them with about 1/4 cup of soapmaking oils, then mix them back in the batch after the lye is added to the base pot of oils. If you don't want the grainy texture they can add to the soap, then strain the oil before adding it back to the soapmaking pot. :smiley2:

you might just try a swirl and scent it something neutral, something that could be yellow or purple or anything in between. Maybe rose, since roses do came in any shades... I made a batch of rose soap that I swirled with a neon orange and a purple{I grabbed the wrong colors} and it still sold, just had to rename it! Let us know if you try it out!