Pillar & Votive failure.. O man!

So I finally decided to try some things out since my father is a big Dale Jr fan and wanted some red and black candles. So tonight I decided to finally pull up my sleeves and try out marbling and layering.

Well, I made a layered votive and it has a small indent/crease from the line from red to black asif it didn't fill in properly.. Should I try pouring hotter next time(I poured the red at about 175, and repoured the black at about 180-85)? Also, I got little pin dents on the votive which I wouldn't mind taking care of as well.

Then, the squared pillar. I absolutely LOVE how the marbled came out especially considering I was starting to worry it wouldn't come out at all. But, the mold had some rust spots that wrecked a corner of the candle(I figured would happend, grrrr)..and also I have these little air bubbles.

This is the link to the wax I currently am using(which is suppost to be for molds)

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_ProductDetail.cfm?PC=4&PSC=76&P=13524&Product_Name=wax,%20paraffin%20bar,%20139%20degree&Token=24.22.12.90:{ts_2006-01-26_23:10:02}-953419

Picture178.jpg

Picture177.jpg

Any help would be great, even if it is a smack to the face for this question being repeatedly asked by people haha

Victoria

----

Forgot to mention, yes I do warm my mold containers in my oven

Your dent in the votives is from it cooling too much before making the next pour. The pin holes are 1) air bubbles, which can be caused from pouring too fast; or 2) caused from a dirty mold; or 3) caused by pouring too cool (which I would eliminate this one).

You could try pouring the initial at 180 and see what happens. And then pour top sooner at 185. Make sure your molds are clean.

If you did the marble on the square the traditional way, pouring or spooning in mush, work on slamming down the mold to get the wax to settle more and/or use a heat gun around the surface to see if that helps relieve the holes.

BTW I like the red and black marble ;)

Thanks for your help.

The votive would make sense because I waited to pour the black until the red was completely cool, not to mention pouring fast and not tapping it to relieve any bubbles or anything since I had it tilted in a glass.

And yes on the pillar. I only gave it one smack against the counter, and since I am doing all this in an apartment it wasn't a very good smack because I am resident on the top floor.

I will be trying this over and hopefully I have better luck

Oh, and thank you for the comment on the marble. I hope I can do it as nice the next time around