Candle losses its cold throw scent after blowing out.

Ana

After the first burn test candle smells like burnt candle not like it did before lighting. It loses its cold throw scent to that of a burnt smell. Also the wax gets slightly darker and has some minor texture on tops. I'm using a coconut soy blend wax. I've burned other store candles without these problems even labeled as a "soy" blend wax. The wicks I've used are prewaxed with soy. Should I get non prewaxed wicks? 

My experience is limited and perhaps others of more experience will be able to chime in soon. I've found a burnt candle does have a slight burnt smell after burning but cold throw is  still apparent. However, I've also found in my test burns, with the wax I'm using, that on rare occasions I've had the the cold throw diminish significantly after a burn. But I believe it was due to having the candle burning too hot and the melt pour burning off the fragrance before the wax was being consumed.  I hope I'm making sense.   I also have found, again with the wax I'm using, that I can also get significant discoloration of the melted wax with a wick that is too big and burning to hot.  Wicking down helped to deal with these problems. Just my limited experience:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Ana!  If your candle loses it's cold scent throw after burning it the first time there are a few things that could be happening.  As redquilt and bfrobers said it is probably that your wick is too large.  If a lot of wax melts and releases the scent quickly it will not be there when it cools back down.  How deep is your melt pool?  If it is more than 1/2" you are releasing a lot of scent when burning.  Then the remaining wax cools down but the scent has already vaporized.  Don't forget that scent should vaporize and not burn in the wick.  So the more melted wax the more scent that leaves. 

Yes, every candle will have a bit of a burnt wick smell after burning it.  But, it shouldn't generally overpower the cold throw. 

What is the diameter of your jar?  What wicks are you using? 

No, pre-waxed wicks are not your issue.  In fact, if they didn't come pre-waxed you really should prime them anyway before using.

Best, Lyschel