Exactly when can I expect hot throw in the burning process?

LisaMG

Hello,

I am hoping one of you experienced people can shed some light on this. When should you start to detect hot throw?

Here are the variables.

Using 6006 with Root Beer (which has vanilla in it) 6% load ( will probably up it to 8)

double wicked with 2 Eco 8's    (10's got two hot) 

The melt pool isn't crazy deep and I would say it is good, the Eco 10's seemed big.

The diameter of the vessel is 3.30 inches  

There is no smoke and the flame is steady (actually I thought the 8's were a bit small when the jar burned down, but I didn't want the container to get too hot.

I don't get hot throw until about 2 hours in and it is decent to good filling a average size room

(PS had NO hot throw with LX wicks) 

So when in the burning process is hot throw supposed to happen?

HELP......................... OH WISE ONES!

For me, it can be anywhere between 10 & 30 minutes, depending on the container, where it is located in the house (air flow is a big factor), the particular FO, and any number of other factors.  Eco wicks burn hot, and 2 Eco 8's are going to be really, really hot. That can hinder throw.  A single Eco 8 or 10 should be all you need with a container of that size.  

• Like 1

Yes I have since wicked down. Usually in the 6006 I use lx and have good results. I don't know why it seems that with this oil it is stubborn. I even made a sample with a higher fragance load but now did another a few days ago with an 8%, so I will keep wicking down. Thanks so much also for the When answer too, because sometimes I'm far into the burning process before I can smell anything.

6 minutes ago, LisaMG said:

Yes I have since wicked down. Usually in the 6006 I use lx and have good results. I don't know why it seems that with this oil it is stubborn. I even made a sample with a higher fragance load but now did another a few days ago with an 8%, so I will keep wicking down. Thanks so much also for the When answer too, because sometimes I'm far into the burning process before I can smell anything.

You might want to try alternating where you burn your testers, and making notes of that.  Some areas in my home are total dead zones, and other areas have great air flow that wafts the fragrance all over the house.  And it could just be that the FO isn't a strong performer.  So many things to consider.

I do have favorite rooms to test in for sure. I was definitely overwicked though, don't know how I went that high or what I was thinking. I know I can always read posts here to get reliable information. Thanks so much. 

• Like 2