How much is too much?

Soot is nasty stuff, but all candles give off some, right? I made a beautiful 24 oz container with Comfort Blend, HTP 105, African Musk FO, some color shavings. I burning it right now. I've been burning about 1 hour and I notice some very, very light soot on the interior of the glass. That got me to wondering what standards other candlemakers hold their containers to. Would you find a light soot film acceptable? Or is it something you don't care that much about (like the ______ brand candle I burned last week that is black on the inside!)?

I really only stress if a customer complains, then I suggest going over to 100% soy. I loved the comfort blend for a lot of reasons but MAN did it produce black glass when I burned it. One of the reasons I switched to a para/veg blend. Others may have different experiences but I think the majority of the paraffin heavy blends will produce more soot. HTH!

I'm a container newbie but if you're getting soot in the 1st hr you probably need to change something. I don't use the wax, wick or FO that you do so don't know what needs to be changed. My goal is no sooting with a 4 hr burn. I do get sooting with marathan burns. Also when I burn to the bottom of the container. Trying to duplicate how a customer would burn the candle. I feel good if I get no sooting for a 6 hr burn or down to the last 1/2" of wax. JMHO Sure those that sell lots of container can give you some advise.

I strive for minimal soot. Sometimes it seems, there will be soot no matter what, depending on burn conditions. If it's burned for hours upon hours, if the wick gets blown out instead of dipped, not trimming the wick, etc.

When testing, I test with these conditions as well as optimum conditions so I can compare and see what I may change to improve the overall soot.

Drafts will cause soot as well...even if your container is properly wicked. Yankee Candle has Illuma Lids that control the air flow to the container. They do an excellent job at stopping that flame from jumping all over the place in a drafty area...and...they are quite decorative and attractive as well. There are some other companies that carry these as well, although I can't recall off hand which ones they were.

I make containers and if you are getting soot in the first hour, I think something's wrong. Is your candle in a draft or is it overwicked? I used 4627 and got more soot than I liked and it was pretty difficult to wick properly. Using paraffin, there will always be soot, but I generally only get soot if the candle is marathon-burned, when the wick is never trimmed or when the candle gets towards the bottom of the container. Keep burning and see how it goes. Also, too much FO can cause more soot I think, but I could be wrong.