My first pillar

Hello, I made my first pillar and I am burning it today. I have already burned it for 4 hours. It is now going on its 2nd burn. I took a picture of after the first burn when I lit it the 2nd time. Is the melt pool ok? I bought the wicks from ebay before I knew anything, so, I probably bought the wrong ones. They were 12" from Ebay id wicksandsuch if you want to take a look.

Thanks for looking.

Linette

post-2398-139458392209_thumb.jpg

The length of the wick has no bearing on the burn. It's the size that matters, diameter, weave, whatever code numbers the manufacturer uses.

If that's the second burn, I'm guessing the melt pool from the first burn was the same size since I don't see a separate ring. If this is the case, it's way under wicked. The melt pool should leave the wall only 1/4" to 1/2" in thickness so that it will fold in and consume itself.

Thank you. That was my first burn. I just happened to light it just when I was going to take the picture. Thank you for your telling me about the wick. I went ahead and put it out again. In a little bit I will light it up again and see what happend. Wicks are so confusing. This wick did feel a little skinner than my votive ones.

Linette

Just made made a deeper tunnel.

I copied and past the information from ebay:

pre waxed cotton wicks. Each wick is 12 inches long. The wick tab is a standard 20mm tab.

This wick is recommended for Container and Pillar candles 1 1/2 inch to 4 1/2 inch wide.

I guess that I probably will need to change wicks. Do you think that leaving the wick longer might help?

I wouldn't consider them a very knowledgeable supplier. I know of no wick that will work in that wide of size range. If that's a 3" pillar the wick should be larger than a wick that works in a 1 1/2" wide votive, not smaller. I'd yank it and replace it. It's not going to get any better by burning longer. Sorry

I changed the wick. Is this okay?

Thanks for the help.:)

From the look of the first outer ring, it looks like you have it right... when you get your full melt pool, you should have an outside ring of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch..... so your there it looks like... nice coloring too by the way:)