If 36 ply is too small....

I'm working with some paraffin that I purchased in a package deal and don't have a clue exactly what it is but have determined that the mp is aprox 145 and it's loaded w/vybar - (the slabs are totally brainy on top).

Pouring candles 4 1/2" diameter and with the 36 ply, it left a wall of 3/4". I ordered some square braid wicks (package of each size from Peak) but have never used them before.

Can anyone suggest which square braid to try next, i.e, #1, #2 or #3?

Would have if I'd had one!! Just moving into doing these larger pillars & will have to lay in a supply of whopper wicks with next order. I'm working with those embossed molds I bought a few weeks ago and having a heck of a time wicking them. The 36 ply was even too small in the 3 1/2" mold. I'm wondering if the rubber embossed inserts could possibly make the wax harder due to the extremely slow cooling. But I'm determined to make those babies burn one way or the other ;)

In my experience, a 1/0 burns about the same as a 30 plyFP.

So Julie was prolly right. Although a 2 might work.

I like a square braid for anything 3" and up. Just personal preferance... I don't like the way the larger FP wicks look.

I doubt that the mold is causing the slow burn, again, Julie is prolly right.

( Just don't tell her I said so. )

One thought... You might be able to get some GREAT mottles from those molds. Stick those in a cooler and it could take days for them to cool. :)

Ducky, I put a #2 in the 3 1/2" and just lit it. The 4 1/2" is still in the mold:whistle: and plan on trying the #3. I'll let you know if they don't work & I need the samples -- and thanks for the offer.

DP: soon as I figure out how to wick these babies, I'm going try for a mottle. Already tried a cold pour but didn't get any rustic:) . I'll have to try putting one in the freezer & try again. A multi-colored swirl would look terrific. Made a bunch of 'canes with the 4 1/2" and they are beautiful. Didn't burn T's or votives in them but used those little candle fuel thingy and the flame is very steady & didn't heat the sides at all.

De-molding these things is an absolute pleasure....just pop loose the clamps and peel off the rubber.:thumbsup:

I got them from a guy I know, his wife's ex-husband used to be an executive with Ceres Candle Co which was supposedly a high-end wholesale co. they were bought out & don't know the current name of the co. He has another box of these molds (bigger ones) but he's kinda flaky & I won't hear from him again till he needs money :waiting: