HELP WICKING A CUSTOM SILICON MOLD

Torivicvl

Hi all,

Looking for some wick size recommendations for a custom silicon mold that I will be creating. I am looking to purchase the following waxes to test:

ProBlend 650

LX Series recommended by The Flaming Candle

BW 921

LX Series recommended by CandleScience 

CBL 141 Ply

2″ Diameter - 18 Ply or 21 Ply,

3″ Diameter 24 Ply or 27 Ply

4″ Diameter 30 Ply or 36 Ply

(as recommended by Candlewic)

I'm still unsure which sizes I should purchase to test as the silicon mold is a bit complicated. The thickness/diameter of the mold is about 2 inches, but the actual width of the candle is about 6 inches. I'm unsure if I should wick according to the thickness or the width. Or a combination? Was wondering if anyone would be able to help me narrow down which sizes I should buy of the LX and the Ply.  I've attached a picture of the mold with the exact dimensions. Another question I had was where I should string the wick because there's a hole where his legs are at the bottom. Any other helpful tips you want to add to tackle this project is greatly appreciated as well. Thank you in advance!

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.05.37 PM.png

The wick needs to be anchored at the base of the clock, imo, I don't see how the legs/feet are going to be able to be a part of it as far as burning goes ... same with the arm, as there's no support.  I think if it were wicked in two parts distributed evenly under the clock, that might work.

6 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

The wick needs to be anchored at the base of the clock, imo, I don't see how the legs/feet are going to be able to be a part of it as far as burning goes ... same with the arm, as there's no support.  I think if it were wicked in two parts distributed evenly under the clock, that might work.

Thanks for your response! Wicking it in two parts makes a lot of sense. Only thing is I'm not sure how wicking from the bottom of the clock would work using the mold. 

14 hours ago, Torivicvl said:

Thanks for your response! Wicking it in two parts makes a lot of sense. Only thing is I'm not sure how wicking from the bottom of the clock would work using the mold. 

The shape is really pretty difficult for making a candle that is secure and will burn correctly without too much waste.  I'm looking at it and can only think of work-arounds and those even seem to have issues if I think about how it's going to burn.  As for mounting wicks at the base, I think you would probably have to sink some metal rods (like long wick pins) while the wax is hardening.  Also, the little tree could be a small candle, but the thing is there is no support at the bottom, which to me is a safety issue, but if you use a tab with a long metal sleeve to make sure it goes out on its own well before hitting the bottom (so there is no blow out), you could test it to see if it works.  As I said, a difficult design, imo!