6006 8 oz tin CD wick - 6 size difference!?

Xersis

Okay, busily in the middle of testing. I am hoping a seasoned person can help me with a logic problem.

I am using IGI 6006 wax in an 8 oz tin. 3 week+ cure time. 2 different fragrance oils @6%. One is lilac and one is Oakmoss and Amber. Trimmed to 1/4-1/2 inch

I just finished the Lilac tests and CD 12 and ECO 8 were my winners. CD 12 (and CD 10) was a high flame for the first test. Subsequent tests went great. HT was great. ECO 8 had a bit of a high flame/flicker/soot here and there but overall performed well and HT was great. Conclusion for ECO 8: unless it is trimmed well, it can get too high. 

Oakmoss & Amber tests are going on now. I used a CD 18 wick and it is performing VERY well. Normal flame, already starting HT in the first hour and a nice shoulder. I will see how it progresses but so far it is doing MUCH better than the CD 12.

My question: is this possible? 6 sizes bigger (CD 18 vs CD 12) and it has a SMALLER flame? The only variant is the fragrance oil. Oakmoss & Amber has a higher FP and while I *thought* that may mean my wick would be on the higher side, I didn't expect that much! If I were going to use Lilac, I would be tempted to go back and test it with the 18, just to see. But since I don't plan on using that one, I will probably abandon it. But I would LOVE to know if this makes sense to people with more experience. Going forward (I have approx 10 more fragrances to seriously test and about 5 that are curing now) - I would love to not have to test 6+ wicks in one vessel if I can narrow it down with some logic. Most of the ones I have curing are CD 10 and CD 12 and ECO 8...I didn't even consider that 18 was going to be in the running.

Help! This seems to defy everything I had studied so far. If someone knows that a higher wick can HELP with high flame/sooting etc problems, at least it will help it make some sense to me.

Thank you! (picture of Oakmoss & Amber, 6006, CD18, 8 oz tin after one hour )

IMG_20210512_110205556.jpg

IMG_20210512_110211189.jpg

Edited by Xersis

In a word, yes.  Fragrance plays one of the most dynamic parts in a candle. I have some that require entirely different series in the exact same case of wax.

Do watch those tins closely in the middle to last half.  things heat up A LOT and things get interesting.  Those wick selections seem rather large in 6006 just based of my experiences with tins. I used a CD12 in most fragrances in plain soy, which is undeniably harder to burn than 6006. ECO 8 would have been a large one in my hard-to-burn combos also.