essential oils?

Hi all, i am experimenting with RCX and have made a small amount, i would like to use essential oils, but have found in the first few the scent isn't as strong or as long lasting as with fragrance oils, I am using the maximum recommended amount of 10% per wax amount, also have concerns as some content advises essential oils become toxic when heated? any advise on making my melts better?

On 4/24/2021 at 7:58 AM, Janine patricia said:

Hi all, i am experimenting with RCX and have made a small amount, i would like to use essential oils, but have found in the first few the scent isn't as strong or as long lasting as with fragrance oils, I am using the maximum recommended amount of 10% per wax amount, also have concerns as some content advises essential oils become toxic when heated? any advise on making my melts better?

With essential oils, assuming the quality is good, more is not usually better.  Pure essential oils do not contain the same kinds of deluent (carriers/fillers) as fragrance oils. Deluents can account for a large volume in a bottle of fragrance. They can make the fragrance easier to burn in hard-to-burn waxes since the extra liquid softens the wax and lowers the melt point. You can use ISopropyl Myristate (IPM), DOA (dioctyl adipate) , or DEP (phthalates) to reach the same type of melt in the jar, burn and performance. Some people use coconut oil (normal 76 degree, hydrogenated 92 degree or even liquid MCT fractions). All can be effective once you figure out the wick changes needed.

first Scale back the essential oil by about half, up to 6% is all I usually needed.. If the wax is still too stiff to melt and burn well, replace some of that liquid volume with one of those three deluents. Soy wax manufacturers have been hardening the wax formulas over time to allow people to use more more more fragrance oil,while the fragrance oils have been more more more diluted with those commonly used deluents.  It is a viscous cycle.

essential oils often have more volatile fragrance notes than fragrance oils, so wicking high/hot like most new chandlers do in soy type waxes flashes off the scent molecules too quickly to be easily smelled. 

as for safety concerns... I always refer to the IFRA documents for fragrances and essential oils.  The IFRA is pretty conservative with fragrance uses. Look to category 11, non skin contact, for safety limits.  

example:

Here’s an IFRA for lavender essential oil from Natures Garden:

EBBA11B3-D666-4BE7-9329-A83F35B9EEDE.png

Fragrance oils contain components of many common essential oils. So much misinformation abound on social media it is difficult to know what is good info any more.  In the end, if you do not feel confident or comfortable, don’t use them. 

682649A8-95EB-4FE8-8B68-AB331A0F07FC.jpeg