Liquid wax

Echoesofluna

Hi everyone, 

I am new to candle making and having some issues and would love some insight to what I am doing wrong 😂

I am using soy wax and Wedo Eco 8 wicks for a 100ml metal container candle. 

Pouring is fine and scents ive chosen are great but when the candles are cooled and then lit for use an hour goes by and all of the wax in the container has melted into liquid. 

Are the wicks too much for these small containers? 

Please someone help!! Any help would be appreciated 😊😊😊

Thanks, 

Jade

Welcome Jade!

Without knowing which specific wax or the container size our experience may be a shot in the dark for you.

First, soy wax needs a cure time to fully develop the final crystal structure.  If burned too soon it melts very easily and may give a false sense of wick requirement. Typically anything with soy most of us give a minimum of a week before testing wicks, two is even better.  Some waxes, like Midwest Soy and GB402 take months to finalize and stabilize.

from just what you have posted, it does sound like the wick is a bit large for your container. 100 ml container is about a 4 oz container. Those are roughly 2-2.5" wide depending on the style you purchased.  An ECO 8 wick is more in line with a container about double that volume with a width of 3". I would drop down to an ECO0.75 or ECO1 since that size is similar to a votive candle. Tins can be quite challenging to wick well. Keep at it and take good notes.

Best of luck!

Thank you! @TallTayl Sorry for being a little vague 😁

The wax I have been using is Kerasoy container wax - https://scentssoapsandcandles.co.uk/product/kerasoy-container-wax/

I think I will purchase some smaller wicks. I did think when I ordered that they were a little overkill. 

So just to be sure (as i am not familiar with candle making lingo) with soy wax you should let them rest for a week or do before you burn them? 

Thanks again for your help 😃

5 minutes ago, Echoesofluna said:

Thank you! @TallTayl Sorry for being a little vague 😁

The wax I have been using is Kerasoy container wax - https://scentssoapsandcandles.co.uk/product/kerasoy-container-wax/

I think I will purchase some smaller wicks. I did think when I ordered that they were a little overkill. 

So just to be sure (as i am not familiar with candle making lingo) with soy wax you should let them rest for a week or do before you burn them? 

Thanks again for your help 😃

sounds like You have good intuition... Look for "votive" size wicks to get you closer to your container size. I don't have access to your wax, but most soy is pretty close to get you in the right direction for wick choice. CD, HTP, CDN, etc. are also popular with soy waxes.

Rest is a good synonym for cure.