Day one 464 base wax and wick test

SRez

Hi All,

Here is my contribution to the base wax wick testing using 464.  It was cured for a little over 2 weeks.  Melted at 185 and poured around the 135ish.  The test was for 3 days.  3 hours each day. 

I will post each day as its own post so as to not inundate the post with too many pics to look at.  

I also have pics from each hour, but to make the page easier to look at, I’ll mostly just post the 3rd hour of each day / burn.

By the 3rd day I removed some testers because they were tunneling. 

If you see a “T” in the MP (melt pool) column, that means they were tunneling.

If you see a “D”, that means the MP was deep.

In the Mush (mushroom) column, I either stated yes, no, big, small, split, 1x CB or 2x CB. 

The 1x CB, 2x CB means that there is either 1 or 2 carbon balls forming on either side of the wick.  In some instances, those turned into a full mushroom whether it be big or small. A “yes” means it is an average size mushroom.

In the pics you’ll see that I used the 3” diameter, 12-ounce tumblers / status jars and 2 baking pans.  I used wicks from CD, CDN, CSN, ECO, HTP, Premier, RRD and Cotton Core.  They containers were spaced apart while burning as you see in the overhead pic but moved together only for the picture to get a closer shot of the wick series / melt pools.  They were then spaced apart again.

I also used a couple of the same size wicks from different suppliers that I had on hand.  I abbreviated them as the following –

CS – Candle Science

CW – CandleWic

FC – Flaming Candle

LS – Lonestar

The same sized wicks from different suppliers all behaved somewhat differently.  The HTP being the most noticeable. 

They were –

HTP 83 from FC and LS.  The LS wick burned… cooler?  It created a smaller melt pool compared to the FC wick.

ECO 12 from FC and CS.  The FC wick burned a bigger MP than the CS wick.    

ECO 14 from CS, CW and FC.  The CS wick burned the smallest out of these 3 but not by much.    

Out of the list of wicks that I tested; I am currently still test burning (day/burn #4) a handful of what I considered to be the best of them, to see where they end up at.

I’m burning as of now only –

CD 10, 12, 14 

CDN 10, 12, 14,

HTP 104, 105

ECO 12 

At this point, at the 5 hour mark, the best-looking wicks are the CD’s 10/12 and CDN’s 12/14.  2nd place would be the HTP 104 and CDN10.  CD 14 has a pretty big mushroom and the HTP 105 is a big carbon ball sitting in the wax.

The ECO 12 from FC is tunneling and almost drowning out.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is wondering.

If my documentation seems a bit too cryptic or if you have any questions, feel free to ask any questions.   

Steve

Day One Tumblers.JPG

Day One Pans.JPG

Day 1 Beginning Burn Test.jpg

20210123_204911~2.jpg

Day 1 hour 1.jpg

Day 1 hour 3.jpg

20210126_221119~2.jpg

20210123_211637~2.jpg

20210123_211644~2.jpg

20210123_211657~2.jpg

20210123_211705~2.jpg