My candles wont turn white

norway

Hi! I’m new at candle making , and would very much like to make a white candle but it always turn half transparant semi white ish. I have tried melting 100% paraffin (finshed, store bought) but they turned out half transp. i also tried a mixture of stearin/parafin from my crafts store and added white pigment at 85° but it didn’t work. what am i doing wrong?

The texture looks like jump lines.  The mold is cold.  The wax is being poured at a temp that loses heat to the mold quickly, partially solidifying the outer layer irregularly. Solution can be to heat the mold a bit, or pour hotter.  Possibly a combination of both. 

look up “opacifier” for wax if you want to work with what you have.  Otherwise, a pillar blend from candle suppliers may get you where you want to go.  Or white beeswax. 

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The texture looks like jump lines.  The mold is cold.  The wax is being poured at a temp that loses heat to the mold quickly, partially solidifying the outer layer irregularly. Solution can be to heat the mold a bit, or pour hotter.  Possibly a combination of both. 

look up “opacifier” for wax if you want to work with what you have.  Otherwise, a pillar blend from candle suppliers may get you where you want to go.  Or white beeswax. 

I can not tell you how grateful I am! Thank you so so much!!!!

Edited by norway
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, TallTayl said:

I use a heat gun briefly on low.  Or set it on a warm surface for a while to gently soak the heat. 

I put the silicon molds in my oven at 65°celsius for 15 minutes and it worked! Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1