CLP Safety Data Sheet - Mixing Fragrance Oil Blends

Hi there! My first post on this site, so hopefully one of the much more knowledgable candle veterans can help me out (apologies if this has been asked before but I did search and couldn't see it)

If you are mixing fragrance oils (not essential oils) I am aware that you can download a Safety Data Sheet for that particular mixture of chemicals. However, let's say I wanted to mix together a fragrance blend called MIDNIGHT with another fragrance blend called DAYLIGHT (from the same supplier). Could I technically take Section 3 of the Safety Data Sheet of each of the fragrance blends (MIDNIGHT and DAYLIGHT) and create my own new Safety Data Sheet listing all of the chemicals?

Tom

Probably not!  SDSs are highly technical and should be written by or at least reviewed and approved by either a Certified Industrial Hygienist(CIH) or a certified toxicologist.  You might want to call Chemtrec to got better information on your question.

I don't think candle makers are required to provide SDS to consumers, and we are only required by OSHA to have SDSs in our workplace for ingredients such as FOs.  Why do you want to create your own SDS?

Whenever we change name of FOs or store mixed FOs, we will need to have our own SDS which is very costly process (including pay for 24 hour emergency contact).  But we don't need to have our own separate SDS if your FOs are kept in original form that came from suppliers or manufacturers.  Just blend them together into melted wax when you are pouring your candles.

Hi Tom,

I am from London so I know your pain !

You can contact your local Trading Standards dept or go on their business website and they can help  - there is also  a section on candles & diffusers that covers the  basics on their business website . Basically all E.O's come with a Safety Data Sheet and if you look , it will tell you the % of any allergens within it . along with hazard statements , severity & pictograms required. All companies have to share  these with you. Depending on potency of allergen , you need to state it if it is more than 1% or 0.1% ( more potent) within your" mixture" There is a 1300 page document 🤪 that has fried my brain on  REACH / ECHA. However  if like me you are not a natural chemist or enjoy that sort of thing ,there are companies  - Candle shack I think do it for not too much money £25 per blend I think , it is probably a lot less brain ache unless your blends are very simple. Soap making forum - Soap kitchen & others that will break down the basics. It is very time consuming if you have complex blends and as CLP is a " hazard" statement  - i.e. you are making your consumer aware of hazards , it can be confusing because there are varying categories of hazard which are shortened in codes which you need to assess and then make some choices  on what is the most important to declare as normally "you should only label 4 allergens even if there are more (...."unless the others are absolutely necessary to declare "- these are the phrases that get me ! ) There are also rules on how you should position everything on your label too but that's easy to look up.  I was trying to do it myself and it is a brain twister ! However a simple blend is doable and best to err on side of caution. Legally you should be able to read your CLP horizontally when product is standing up but I see loads of candle companies that have them on the bottom. but I don't know if that would make your insurance void.

Also just be aware that this is different to basic safety label that should also be on or part of your label - the typical " keep away from drafts etc.etc.

Hope that helps in your decision making.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 8:48 PM, BusyBee said:

BussyBee according to what you said we are allowed to mix fragrances the moment that we melt the wax but not to store a mixed fragragrance that we made? And we need new SDS only if we create a mix of fragrance and we store it? otherwise if we create a mix the moment that we create candle or melts is fine? I am trying to understand your last paragraph!! :)

8 hours ago, lylithh said:
On 11/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, BusyBee said:

BussyBee according to what you said we are allowed to mix fragrances the moment that we melt the wax but not to store a mixed fragragrance that we made? And we need new SDS only if we create a mix of fragrance and we store it? otherwise if we create a mix the moment that we create candle or melts is fine? I am trying to understand your last paragraph!! :)

OSHA(US Dept of Labor) require us to have FOs' SDS in our workplace in case of emergency.  When we mix different FOs together, we will need to have SDS for that mixture in STORAGE.  But we don't need to have SDS if we mix them right before we put them into wax.  This is one of those regulation that no one will come out to check unless something goes wrong.

• 2 years later...
On 6/11/2021 at 5:12 PM, BusyBee said:

OSHA(US Dept of Labor) require us to have FOs' SDS in our workplace in case of emergency.  When we mix different FOs together, we will need to have SDS for that mixture in STORAGE.  But we don't need to have SDS if we mix them right before we put them into wax.  This is one of those regulation that no one will come out to check unless something goes wrong.

Is that true? I am in UK and everywhere I checked they all suggest to have a new SDS when mixing FOs but nobody clarifies if it is only for storage. I would much appreciate if anyone can help with this as I am new in candle making and regulations drive me crazy..