testing 464

So I have been making asome candle using 4630 and now want to venture to soy.

I have some a sample  lb of 464 here

Want to make 8 oz tin candle  so to get the right wick initial choices do I chosse a wick, make the candle wait a few days and burn to see if it works or use fo and do the cure 2 weeks to see if the wick and the burn is right? 

I would start with unscented wax. You can either make a few wicked testers. Or do as some of us and make a, or a few, unwicked candles and use a skewer to poke a hole to the bottom. Then, snip the base off the wick, insert into hole, and trim. Make sure the direction of the wick is right. I've trimmed the bases off and accidentally switch the direction a few times; a true headache trying to troubleshoot what went wrong.

Once you've found a wick that works, then move on to scented testing, using the winning wick as the baseline. Wick a size, or two, up and down from that starting point and see which works best. After testing a few fragrances, you'll get the hang of which wick size to start with.

IMO, always cure soy for two weeks, especially with 464. The wax will continue to crystallize well past a few days cure, even without FO. Better to be safe than find out a whole batch doesn't burn right weeks or months later.

Edit: With just 16oz of wax, it's probably more efficient to use the poking method. Pour an 8oz unscented, cure, poke the hole, and start with a general baseline wick size for the candle size. I can't offer a suggestion on wick size because I stopped using 464 after the soypocalypse and I've read it has changed since then. But after poking the hole, insert the wick, burn it. If it fails the test, pull the wick out with tweezers before the melt pool sets. Allow candle to cool. Some re-cure but I don't have time or patience for that. I allow the candle to cool to room temp, poke a new hole, then rewick with another size... wash, rinse, repeat until I find something that works. If it takes too many tries, the candle might get too low and you'll have to pour a new one.

Edited by Kerven

What wick  and size do you suggest starting out  testing?  I have been looking in several wick guids and most are all different but CD 12 for a 8 oz tin shows up a few tines and then Candle Scienc3e says CD 18 for 3 inch tin using 464   Big Difference.

I used ECO with 464 and started with ECO 10. I don't know if that would be a good starting point for the current 464. After the 464 production issues years ago, some of us had to wick way down and others were wicking way up. It was all over the place. I think ECO 10 is similar to a CD 12? Someone correct me on that. I don't use CD much.

If the CS guide is up to date, then CD 18 might be in line with the change in wicking after the 464 fiasco. But that seems awfully large... Maybe try the middle ground with CD 14?