How Much FO in CB-Advanced

it must be something else then because a while back I started using 9%* across the board with CBA (both versions) with no problems with my regular wicking I always use because IMO CBA needs more FO than say a regular soy. (FYI In the version 2 of the wax I was using 5% stearic as an additive, but in version 1, which I use now, I just use it as is). I don't like really strong smells but DW does so I up'd it a while back from 6%.

Just curious, what wick are you using? Have you tried different vendors? I know they are standardized but you can have a bad batch or the vendor can coat them differently.

* Most FOs I use have been from Candle Science lately.

I went down from 9% to 5% and those candles where the wicks were drowning don't do that anymore. I use the ECO wicks. I have ordered a variety of FOs and they should be here on Monday. I only had one FO to test with (has vanilla in it). I also ordered steric which I think will help. I was told that using steric with this wax is a must. I have been playing with this wax for 4 months now....and refuse to give up! I also live in a hot climate and noticed my candles were starting to seep again because it is somwhat warmer now. Last month they didn't. This wax is so unpredicatable though. Sometimes I get air pockets and sometimes I don't. I think the steric might help with this as well.

Henry do you think they will have the old version around for awhile?

Also, I just checked. There is cb135, cbpure and cb advanced. Which ones are u talking about?

From what is posted around you don't have to worry about the old version of CBA (Ecosoya Container Blend Advanced Soy - places usually call this original advanced soy) not being around. Its the new version of it that they have quit making called the same thing - but appended with "new and improved version" or "version 2" (though I still see it around). BCN has it, but I can see why its confusing - they call it "Ecowax Advanced CB135 (NEW)", when the makers (NGI) don't have 135 anywhere in the name that I can find.

I used the original, then the new, then back to the original of the Ecosoya Container Blend Advanced Soy.

Here are some posts where we got into some good testing and discussions:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3792

(deals with version 2)

(and these I linked from my post in the above thread)

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=111301 6238;start=

(deals with version 1)

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=111317 9160;start=

(deals with version 1)

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196

(deals with version 1 and 2)

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892

(deals with version 2)

IMO, version 1 and 2 are very similar as far as hot and cold throw goes, its hard for me to differentiate for throw but either of them benifit greatly from aging a bit. The version 1 seemed to get wet spots sooner than version 2 for me, and version 2 got air pockets more often than 1 (actually I don't think I had any problems with version 1 in this regard), so thats when some folks started to add 3 to 5% stearic to version 2. Neither of them frosted hardly at all for me, but if you burn them, you will see some some very slight frost on the re-hardened meltpool on top of very dark-dyed candles.

Vanillas are heavy FOs as you may know so you may have to try one size up if its drowning before switching to a totally different wick type. I also think I read someone actually called NGI about the FO percentage recommendations they post and they said they post levels just to be on the "safe side" but that you can use higher amounts - like I said, I've been using 9% w/o any issues at all.

HTH

Thanks for all your help Henry :)

Okay....I am now confused!!! I originally bought the NEW version at BCS. That one is the EcoWAX Advanced CB135 (NEW). I just placed an order with Peaks for EcoSoya CB Advanced Soy. Nothing that says new. So I am getting the old version (original )?

Because it's impossible to tell which is which looking at the flakes of wax, and because NGI DID screw up on the lableing of the cases a while back, and, because you have no idea how long the case you got was sitting in the distributors... call NGI and read them the batch numbers off of your cases. Based on my path of experiences with this was (waxes), it's the quickest way to find out exactly what you have. Because you said you had some air pockets, I'm guessing that was the version 2; the lable would/shoud say 'new & improved'. I had (still have!) several cases that were miss-labled, per NGI after reading them the batch numbers. As for scent throw, I'm down to .0468 PP for most of my scents, and though cure time does help with the cold throw, both the hot & cold throws are definatly strong enough, and I get my FO's from several vendors.

Gretchen

You probably are getting the original from Peaks as it states "A soft creamy single pour container wax made from pure 100% soybeans and carefully selected botanical oils". The second version of the wax was 100% soy.
Who knows. NGI never changed their website copy when they put out CB-Adv2 and many suppliers didn't either. At this point in the debacle it might be best to just ask rather than infer. Candlescience always made it clear of course, being the pros that they are, and they offered both. They're back to selling just the original version and they still make it clear.

I noticed Kangaroo Blue is suddenly having a sale on CB-Adv. They don't say, but you can guess which version THAT would be, LOL.

Too bad Advanced it doesn't throw worth a damn and the glass adhesion is so poor that they advertise it as a feature. It's just about the only soy on the market that wicks decently.

I originally got mine at BCN as they had the 2nd version first, but then found Candle Science. Would assume Peak labeld theirs correctly also. Then of course you have to take into account what Gretchen said. I got my current batches of version 1 and cb135 from CS - so hopefully they are what they state they are! :)

Update.... I added steric to the "New and Improved" Wax. I poured at 115 and found hidden holes again. This wax is going to be the death of me!!

The good news is, I just made a few candles using version 1 of this wax. I noticed the wax was thicker. Did I need to add any steric or vybar to this wax?

TIA

I had terrible experiences with the new & improved version. Since you can't test burn every candle before it goes out the door, well... how's that for a dunb statement!:D IMO, that stuff's not worth your time! As soon as the version one was back, I was on it and I have no problems and no complaints.

Gretchen