I love my new hobby, but...

...I hate testing!

I think I'm too much of a perfectionist and I notice little things too much when it comes to candlemaking.

I made 5 container candles with 5 different waxes using Raspberry Cobbler FO. I wanted to compare hot/cold throw, glass adhesion, etc. Well, one candle was beautiful, but had poor scent throw. The next had great scent throw, but huge wetspots. And so on, and so on.

I can't seem to find the perfect wax! I guess there is no perfect one. The closest to perfect for me was the Comfort Blend, but it is just so icky to work with. I guess I'll start mixing and see what works for me. Is that what most people do?

I can't seem to find the perfect wax! I guess there is no perfect one. The closest to perfect for me was the Comfort Blend, but it is just so icky to work with. I guess I'll start mixing and see what works for me. Is that what most people do?
Some people do it. However, these are paraffins pre-blended with addtives. They're designed such that each ingredient is in there for a specific reason and contributes certain properties to the blend. Adding stuff or mixing them together without knowing what's in them is really kind of random. The most professional way to go if you're just not satisfied with the existing products is to start with a straight paraffin wax and add stuff to create your own blend.

Keep in mind too that it's hard to compare the different waxes if you've not tested each one to get the best burn first. Sometimes, just changing the type or size of wick can make a big difference in the scent throw. Some scents from some suppliers just don't throw well in a particular wax as well. There are also some things you can do to minimize the wet spots. Sooo.. what it all boils down to is, the problem may not even be the wax. Or it may be the wax in combination with the other things. Especially when you're just starting out, trying to test 5 different waxes at one would be a nightmare, IMO.

. I notice little things too much when it comes to candlemaking.

I can't seem to find the perfect wax! I guess there is no perfect one.

MeiMei.....I have never seen/bought/burned or made a perfect candle. I personally think in some odd way, that is the charm of them. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder other than the obvious characteristics that everyone can agree on----we all want them safe:) . Most will agree that they would prefer to have no hang-up on the sides of the container and if it is a scented candle, they want to smell it. ( although whether they are strong or weak is most certainly subjective)

There are some "perfect standards" to go by however I am not sure even if you nail every characteristic perfectly you will have a perfect candle.

I love it that you are critical of your work and hold it to high standards. Be proud of what you create! WELCOME!

I have tested many container waxes and have found that comfort blend has been the best. Yes it is sticky and a PITA to work with but IMO it has the best hot/cold throw for me. Some have said they did not get a good hot/cold throw using it.

As for blending together I have done comfort blend and 1945 which also has a good cold/hot throw blended together. But then again if you don't like the sticky comfort blend I don't know what to tell you.