Wicking for 16 oz. Mayo

Adding some new containers.  The 16 oz. mayo jar from Fillmore is adorable and has a pretty black Old Tyme lid but wicking is proving to be a challenge.  Much smaller opening than the 16 oz. Country Comfort jar and the pinch in the neck makes the burn rate pick up momentum half way down.  I'm using a paraffin-based container blend and the LX series.  Wondering if I should also be trying some HTPs.

I'd worry about a deep melt pool with that trapped heat. HTPs burn hot, and they get a big lean when the MP is too deep.

I'm really liking Premier 700s as an alternative to HTPs. They burn hot too, but their structure is more rigid. And Aztec has them in a jillion sizes.

On February 14, 2019 at 9:02 PM, Arch Rock said:

Thanks Sarah but the Premiers give me a long stem and high flame.  You using them with the CBL 125?

I mostly use them as an alternative to CSNs or HTPs with Palm wax. But I have used them in CBL 125 on occasion, when I need a size in between the HTPs or a tighter flame. The do have a high flame, but narrow.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

I'm not crazy about the limited hot throw I'm getting with these mayo jars.  Nothing beats a 16 oz country comfort.

Don't panic Sarah!  I should have mentioned that I'm only now getting started on testing the CBL 125 and HAVE NOT YET used this wax in the 16 oz. Mayo.  I've been using my old wax and am finding a big difference in HT between the country comforts and the Mayos.  BTW, are you in PA?

4 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Don't panic Sarah!  I should have mentioned that I'm only now getting started on testing the CBL 125 and HAVE NOT YET used this wax in the 16 oz. Mayo.  I've been using my old wax and am finding a big difference in HT between the country comforts and the Mayos.  BTW, are you in PA?

I can't disagree that the country comfort is great for stellar HT. Maybe the combination of wide melt pool and chimney-like neck?

I think of the mayo/canning jar as being a compromise between price and performance, as you can generally get them cheaper than the apothecary, thereby allowing for a lower price-point to pass on to the consumer. Hopefully you'll be pleased with the 125!

I'm just south of the Mason-Dixon line, in MD. I work in PA for my full-time job, in Waynesboro (a little west of Gettysburg). I have a bunch of family up in the Lehigh Valley area. What part of PA are you in?