Palm Candle Woes

I’ve been working on candles for a bit and having trouble with hot throw. Cold throw is phenomenal! Hot throw is nonexistent. 

Glass Glow container palm

12 oz Status jar

CSN wicks sizes 12, 14, 16, 22

3, 5, and 10%fragrance oil:

Ginger Lime  lonestar

Black Sea. CS

Eucalyptus Spearmint. CS

Every wick size and oil percentage burns differently, as expected. However, none of them are giving any hot throw. None whatsoever!

I started with 3 then 5%. Then tried 10% since all the reviewers of glass glow on Lonestar said they used an ounce per pound to 10% with glowing results. So, why not?! 

Ive burned at 1,2, and 4 week cure times with the same results. 

What should i try next?! 

Try a different fragrance oil. I'm not being a smart-ass, I have just found that there are some oils that don't throw strongly in palm. I have CS's Black Sea (love it so much in soap!!), but I've never put it in wax, so I couldn't say if that one is a dud or not. I think Euc and mint is always a light thrower for me. Citrus fragrances in general I think can be fussy. Do you have something with strong cinnamon notes? Try that. Clean laundry scents also do great. Pines throw so well I get a headache from them.

Your wicks should be good with a 12 or a 14. 22 is huge! Lol

Do you get a full mp right away? How cold is your house? My house is cold and breezy, and none of my Palm candles are happy about it.

I cure for a minimum of 2 weeks, 4 is even better. Palm benefits from a loooong cure. And I keep my FO at 6%, I feel like over 8% starts to mess with the burn and throws off the wicking.

Thank you for the reply @Sarah S  

I used fragrances that throw well for me in my melts. 

I have some new ideas for my next batch and I agree with you on the cure time. I have quite a few melts that work well after 1 week, but several need 2 weeks to perform optimally. 

Ok. Getting back to it!

• Like 1

Are your melts palm wax?

I have a hot plate style melter in my bedroom, when I use Palm wax melts in, no matter what the fragrance (so far), the throw is so powerful it goes down two sets of stairs and hangs out in my basement! You can smell it in my living room, and it's almost too strong in my bedroom. So I feel like Palm wax tarts are a completely different animal than a Palm candle. Just IMO!