Coloring for CP

Spellkast

Well, after my disaster last night with the ultramarine stupid things, I was wondering if I could use regular food coloring (or the liquid dye I got from WSP) in CP. I know it's water based, but there's water in the soap, so it should be able to mix, right? Is there anything better I should buy to color it? Something that DOESN'T clump up and leave crazy globs of coloring all over the soap? Also, totally off this topic, but I'm too lazy to start another thread: is the soap supposed to smell like play-doh? LOL...I used 1 oz. of scent in a 2 lb. batch and all I can smell is this weird play-dohey scent..will that go away when it cures, by any chance? Or should I just sell this to the local play-doh addicted kids for a high price?

About the colors, I think I remember seeing on a site that they used the cake colorings (from Wilton), but I can't remember if that was for CP or MP. I think you could use the food coloring, but it will probably fade. And, I think if you want true color, you will have to add some titanium dioxide to make it white first. I just got some from the classifieds and can't wait to try it!!!

About the smell, mine smell sort of funny too. I wonder if it is different for HP and CP????

SOrry if I am not much help, but I am still learning too!

Steph

IMO, I would not use liquid dyes or food coloring...the colors are not true, for instance, I used green early in my soap making days and it turned dark dirt brown immediately.

I think you should dry the powder one more time. pull out some oils before you add your lye and mix the color in that way, then after you have got all your clumps out of the oil pull out some soap mix up then add it back to your pot. If you add it to soap first you will have a lot of work. The oxides, UM etc make the best coloring. I have never had any luck with liquids.

I use .75 oz per 1lb batch of FO and less of course for EO. I don't know what the playdoh smell is.

Good luck on your next batch

Elle

Thanks guys! So, it'll be easier to mix if I add the colors BEFORE adding the lye? I followed Robin's tutorial, (but she used some form of clay, I believe) and she added a bit to the end result before she added the scent. I'll try one more batch tonight with the ultramarine...and I'll see how it goes. I've seen other people on this board with BEAUTIFUL soaps with wonderful, bright colors and gorgeous swirls...just don't know how they did it!! But thank you- I will try again!

pull some of the oils out of you pan and add the UM to that oil then add your lye to the oil in the pan, stir until thin trace pull some soap out and add to the oils with the UM in them, stir then put back in your pot

Hope that makes sense

Elle

Good luck tonight Girlie...you will do great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SOOOOO very much!! I tried that, and it worked beautifully!! I had the most beautiful blue color! It probably won't stay that way, and the swirling didn't work too well. I used ICS's waterfall mist and it accelerated trace a LOT. So basically I poured the oil in, mixed for all of probably 30 seconds and it became pretty thick, so when I poured in my color, it sort of all stayed at the top and I had to mix most of it in, but it STILL was sitting a bit on the top..so when I poured it into the mold (couldn't wait any longer, it was like pudding,) all of the blue sank to the bottom. Hopefully it'll turn out ok!! :) Thanks again for the advice- it was a lifesaver! I feel much more confident now!!! You guys are great!

Thank you SOOOOO very much!! I tried that, and it worked beautifully!! I had the most beautiful blue color! It probably won't stay that way, and the swirling didn't work too well. I used ICS's waterfall mist and it accelerated trace a LOT. So basically I poured the oil in, mixed for all of probably 30 seconds and it became pretty thick, so when I poured in my color, it sort of all stayed at the top and I had to mix most of it in, but it STILL was sitting a bit on the top..so when I poured it into the mold (couldn't wait any longer, it was like pudding,) all of the blue sank to the bottom. Hopefully it'll turn out ok!! :) Thanks again for the advice- it was a lifesaver! I feel much more confident now!!! You guys are great!

Spellkast, I have gotting into the habit of saving some of my colored soap after I pour into pot, that way once I pour I can swirl in some more soap to swirl with if need be, I seem to get more color on the bottom as well.

I pour a lot of my soaps thick becasue I like the extra textured look they get when I pour then I take a spatula make the deep designs in them LOL

I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elle